Sign in to follow this  
GRiNET

Ryse: Son of Rome

Sorry @GRiNET, but when you see someone with few posts proclaiming masterpieces for a game that has been pretty much forgotten and critique certainly didn't elect to masterpiece status… it's natural to think you're trolling. Especially in the days Crytek is in the news… for possible bankruptcy.

Also, just noticed you opened a new topic but we already had one on this (some mod can merge?)

I was playing but haven't finished Ryse, wasn't that engaging but will probably go back. Mainly I was deeply annoyed by the controller layout choice: why would you swap parry controls compared to the Batman games that are the standard for this kind of combat? Despite the prompts I couldn't get in the flow, this was really stupid choice. For the brief moments I managed to nail a combo was quite satisfying brutality.

I think the only way you can call it a masterpiece is considering how many times the game was rebooted and changed scope/target. Then I'd say that the "self configuring" multiplayer arena was a great idea, too bad that hardly anyone must have played the mp.

@2d-chris really sad you have to feel that way about something you worked on :( luckily you're clearly super happy where you are now :)

PS: @GRiNET the Thief that Dux mentioned was the very first one, not the last ;)

PPS: @dux which occasions did C2 had QTE? I have amazingly forgot about that 0.o

Edited by blackdog

The moments something happened. It took control away, did a cinematic then expected you to give enough of a shit to be paying attention to press Q really fast. The bridge collapsing for example.

Edited by dux

On 2016-12-21 at 10:28 PM, 2d-chris said:

I've tried hard, gone to a shrink and even spent a year trying to invent a time machine to remove any remnant of a memory for working on this game (ok it was only 3 months but still), I even gave away my free xbone and project signed disc, even tried to get my name removed from the credits (didn't really deserve it anyway) but the producer noticed I was missing and added me,  I'm not even kidding :D It's everything I hate about a "game" like this. Rome was a good idea though, but that's about where it ends. Wish I could go into details, but there where a lot of talented people put in very stupid situations. 

D: 

But why is that? I don't understand it really.

What did you do on it?

On 2016-12-21 at 11:24 PM, dux said:

Only part I didn't enjoy was them QTE's :v 

I liked them, it could get a bit tedious yes but I mostly thought it was giving me a cinematic feel. I have to say I prefer this over Darksiders combat any day!

On 2016-12-22 at 11:13 AM, blackdog said:

Sorry @GRiNET, but when you see someone with few posts proclaiming masterpieces for a game that has been pretty much forgotten and critique certainly didn't elect to masterpiece status… it's natural to think you're trolling. Especially in the days Crytek is in the news… for possible bankruptcy.

Also, just noticed you opened a new topic but we already had one on this (some mod can merge?)

I was playing but haven't finished Ryse, wasn't that engaging but will probably go back. Mainly I was deeply annoyed by the controller layout choice: why would you swap parry controls compared to the Batman games that are the standard for this kind of combat? Despite the prompts I couldn't get in the flow, this was really stupid choice. For the brief moments I managed to nail a combo was quite satisfying brutality.

I think the only way you can call it a masterpiece is considering how many times the game was rebooted and changed scope/target. Then I'd say that the "self configuring" multiplayer arena was a great idea, too bad that hardly anyone must have played the mp.

@2d-chris really sad you have to feel that way about something you worked on :( luckily you're clearly super happy where you are now :)

PS: @GRiNET the Thief that Dux mentioned was the very first one, not the last ;)

PPS: @dux which occasions did C2 had QTE? I have amazingly forgot about that 0.o

I certainly understand that, that is why I took the time to explain.

Yes, it was the post about Crytek and their probable bankruptcy that made me pickup the game.

Sorry for opening a new topic, didn't notice the other one. Also sorry for late answers, christmas and all.

You are right about Thief, I have to change my opinion on that. I loved the first thief, just didn't remember the name..

Ryse was a success if you look at its core pillars/goals. Fun (ok fun is a shit core pillar but still) was in the 7th and almost last place, so that's what you got. Graphics and cinematic experience were at the top obviously, and it did ok on those I think. While I don't loathe it like Chris does, I do hope to not have to work on games where the priorities are so far from the medium's main purpose ever again. It's a shame about the theme, the whole franchise could have been great. It's a shame we didn't get to make the sequel, Ryse's development was plagued by building a team from the ground up and going third-person hack&slash with an engine not made for that, we could have really stepped it up on a sequel. 

Edited by Corwin

3 hours ago, Corwin said:

Ryse was a success if you look at its core pillars/goals. Fun (ok fun is a shit core pillar but still) was in the 7th and almost last place, so that's what you got. Graphics and cinematic experience were at the top obviously, and it did ok on those I think. While I don't loathe it like Chris does, I do hope to not have to work on games where the priorities are so far from the medium's main purpose ever again. It's a shame about the theme, the whole franchise could have been great. It's a shame we didn't get to make the sequel, Ryse's development was plagued by building a team from the ground up and going third-person hack&slash with an engine not made for that, we could have really stepped it up on a sequel. 

This does sound disturbingly bad, a shame really to hear this. Could you give some example on how the main purpose have shifted that made it feel so bad to work on?
Which priorities where changed so massively and was it in a late state of production?

I don't think he's saying properties shifted, but that priorities were wrong, focusing on the "bling" rather than gameplay.

There was an interesting article when it was finally clear the game was coming out

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/10/4395790/ryse-seven-year-development

Edited by blackdog