What shadows in CSGO maps are intentionally placed for visibility/gameplay purposes

RedHawk

I know there are some shadows in CSGO maps for gameplay purposes, (for example the shadow in long A in Dust 2, if you´re in the shadow you´re save from anyone in doors, if you´re outside the shadow, anyone from doors can see you).

I´d like to get a list or examples of at least a few other intentionally placed shadows.

23 minutes ago, Bevielis said:

Lighting and in turn shadows are placed to first of all look aesthetic with the environment they light up. This is the first time I'm hearing of "intentionally placed shadows". Shadows all follow a single angle and so the idea that you would adjust the lighting in your level at a potential detrament to the visual quality to suit one specific spot is weird to say the least. I'm also pretty sure that you determine whether or not you're seen from a certain position by, well... not being able to see that position yourself. No offence, just seems like you made up this entire concept yourself.

I have to disagree. It is not unusual to use light and respectively shadows to emphasize or enhance gameplay. Light is not just an artistic element to make things look nice. There are several spots in maps, that were intentionally lit to guide the player or help them distinguish other players from the environment.

Same goes for shadows. You can guide players very well with shadows. One of the most proving games for this are the original Thief games. To be fair, shadow also has a gameplay impact in this one tho. When it comes to CSGO, I don't believe there is a lot places where shadows were put intentionally, since it is a very competitive environment and shadows can be confused with player characters.

Shadow-spacing is definitely a concept that exists and is not made up by Luis, however, it's use in CSGO barely seems applicable. Could be interesting to investigate tho! I would not count it out that easily.

Edited by poLemin

1 minute ago, Bevielis said:

So you just disproved your entire rant with a single proposition, hope it was worth the hassle.

I don't know why you would think that was a rant. You alleged Luis of making that entire concept up. It is not made up, it just _seems_ _barely_ applicable for CSGO. No need to feel offended my dear.

3 minutes ago, Bevielis said:

The example he gave implies the use of dynamic shadows from the light_environment entity, this has nothing to do with lighting setups to specific areas which is what you're thinking of here. I'm not offended at all, in fact if you want to go on a condescending discussion, you implying that I'm offended shows that you've taken personal offense  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Well, the question was about shadows placed on purpose and not about setting up a light_environment entity for gameplay reasons. Therefore I elaborated on the former subject.

The light direction on dust2 has remained unchanged since 2001, before dynamic shadows were a thing. So the A long doors example is an afterthought entirely.

Now that we've debunked that, I think it's OK to give CT's the dynamic shadow advantage, so long as it's far from the sites, as with the A long doors example or mid doors. A CT pushing out that far takes a risk, but gains some reward for doing it. Giving the same advantage at the choke from tunnel entrance to B would be bullshit though. No risk, huge reward. Valve included a tree there for added shadows to the entrance area, and I think that was by gameplay design, not aestethics (entirely), though I'm just speculating at this point. Catwalk is an interesting exception, but due to the railing, CT's on site won't be able to see the shadows.

I definitely consider these things when I design for CS:GO.

Edited by grapen

When Valve first introduced dynamic shadows to CS they talked about how it would effect game-play. AFAIK the specific example they used was de_lake because the trees cast a lot of dappled leafy shadow, so clearly it is something Valve take in to account, IDIOTS. (Sorry, I thought we had to be unnecessarily condescending in this thread).

Intentional or not, the examples at long-A double doors and mid are great, and I believe people perched atop the crates just outside B-tunnels may also cast a visible shadow if they're not hugging the wall, though I often wish I could see my own shadow so as to verify this. Good question @RedHawk, I am also interested to find out about more examples of this.