Westworld - Aka Anthony Hopkins best acting in his career!

-HP-

Seriously, did anyone here finish season 1 yet? Hopkins final speech kept playing in my head for days. ["Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin never died, they simply became music."]

Every time he opened his mouth during the whole season, poetry came out. Every word and every phrase was so well written it would send your brain into beautiful places trying to interpret what he just said.

Definitely one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

It's incredible. A few guys at work have been going on about it and we're all hooked.

We just finished episode 9. Please don't read the below spoiler if you haven't seen the show, or you'll ruin the show for yourself.

Spoiler

Emma saw the name 'Bernard Lowe' in episode 9 and straight away shouted 'IS THAT AN ANAGRAM OF ARNOLD?!', haha. Nailed it. We got a little piece of paper out and wrote out the letters and guessed his surname, 'Weber'. That was a nice twist. Can't wait to watch the next episode!

Is it already finished? I thought was going to be multi-seasonal…

I finished watching episode 2 today, after I feel asleep halfway when I wanted a couple weeks back.

I start to be curious now, first episode didn't get me excited like I saw it did with others

I guess something that bothers me is that is very video-game like, as a concept, and I find ridiculous that human "players" are untouchable. How can it be fun and immersive an activity like that when you have no "game over" state?

Edited by blackdog

Thats a good question, and just the fact you're questioning is a nod to how well this is written. Just like Philip K Dick stories, it makes you question a lot of "what ifs" that you don't see enough of in movies or series anymore.

Keep questining shit like that and the show really becomes interesting.

I heard it's gonna be the new Game of Thrones for HBO, with 5-6 seasons. There is a lot in this universe that hasn't even been touched yet. We haven't seen anything of the outside world or the other theme park worlds (except from a tiny glimpse).

That guests can't get seriosuly hurt by default isn't ridiculous at all imo. Would you be ok playing a VR game if you could get killed in it? And that's a important theme for the show really, the discrepancy that guests can do whatever they want with no real consequences, which turns them into sadists to get their kicks and the hosts suffering over and over.

My wife and I binge watched this 2 weeks ago and then caught the remaining episodes as they came out. Fan-freagin-tastic of a show! Normally, my wife does not like the sci-fi genre. So for her to like it (and us argue for hours about where the show is headed) is amazing. Plus, Ramin Djawadi is REALLY coming on strong as a composer and I enjoy his themes. 

4 hours ago, Sigma said:

My wife and I binge watched this 2 weeks ago and then caught the remaining episodes as they came out. Fan-freagin-tastic of a show! Normally, my wife does not like the sci-fi genre. So for her to like it (and us argue for hours about where the show is headed) is amazing. Plus, Ramin Djawadi is REALLY coming on strong as a composer and I enjoy his themes. 

What's with women hating sci-fi? Always wondered that.

Speaking of GoT, Emergency Awesome (YT) was reporting that George Martin is suggesting a crossover, as there could be different themes in the park…?

And in terms of longevity, the current GoT saga should end with season 9 but they are talking about prequel spin-off and I understand Martin himself said there's lots of material they can use.

@(HP) will surely keep watching and see if I get more into it. One problem is as well I tried to watch when too tired, like today with ep3 suring lunch break, I'm so tired I was falling asleep again.

Edited by blackdog

@(HP): Well with my wife it's that a lot of sci-fi is just too strange from what she knows everyday (she's an engineer). Westworld is fairly well grounded in how it approaches its universe, and so in that regard it is much easier for her to relate to it I think. That and the women are not all scantily clad or under-developed (if anything, the women seem to be the most developed characters aside from the three male leads).