Sign in to follow this  
Sprony

The Last of Us Part 2

On 7/11/2020 at 10:40 AM, darkbsp said:

What is the point of a game that portrays what it forces you to do as evil? Is Naughty Dog going to give up violent games after this? Anything less just makes TLOU2's themes moot. 

Game makes you do extreme violence -> Game shows how that extreme violence is senseless and how hero characters are monsters to others -> Game continues to make you do extreme violence and tell you how bad it is (despite them deliberately making several elements of killing quite flashy)  -> Naughty Dog continues making violent games with tons of killing (probably, unless they do change).

What is the point? How does that make any sense at all? It's the age old meme in games of "can't you see what we force you to do is wrong??" It's like: Yes! Yes! This is all wrong! Why do you make me do it then? Just stop making these games if the message is that these actions are wrong! It's entirely contradictory. 

Niel druckman said the message is "obsession will cost you everything" which is kind of ironic considering his obsession with trying to make an innovative story cost him his reputation

2 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Niel druckman said the message is "obsession will cost you everything" which is kind of ironic considering his obsession with trying to make an innovative story cost him his reputation

Isn't tlou2 story about vengeance? How can that ever be innovative?

One thing is for certain... Last of Us 1 was one of my favourit games from the last generation. I've beat it twice on the PS3, and again on the PS4 when the remaster came out. Spent dozens of hours on it's multiplayer too, it was incredibly fresh and slower paced, the whole round felt like when in CS you're the only T alive with the bomb and there's a bunch CT's lurking somewhere waiting to fuck you up. So the whole package of this game was really good.
The story was a little bit too blatantly close to Children of Men, but it was really well paced and I'm sure I've said it here in this forum a few times but that ending stayed in my mind for days if not weeks. One day I'd say to myself "nah... I would never make that decision", and in the other I'd say "but... I probably would though."

For this sequel though, I don't feel like playing it at all, from the trailers and footage I've seen it's really depressing, not the "STALKER" movie kind of depressive that gets under your skin, just the needlessly violent and gory depressive, where characters you know and love get murdered for shock value.  I just... with the pandemic and everything that's going on in the world right now, really don't feel like going 30 straight hours feeling like shit.

7 hours ago, [HP] said:

Isn't tlou2 story about vengeance? How can that ever be innovative?

One thing is for certain... Last of Us 1 was one of my favourit games from the last generation. I've beat it twice on the PS3, and again on the PS4 when the remaster came out. Spent dozens of hours on it's multiplayer too, it was incredibly fresh and slower paced, the whole round felt like when in CS you're the only T alive with the bomb and there's a bunch CT's lurking somewhere waiting to fuck you up. So the whole package of this game was really good.
The story was a little bit too blatantly close to Children of Men, but it was really well paced and I'm sure I've said it here in this forum a few times but that ending stayed in my mind for days if not weeks. One day I'd say to myself "nah... I would never make that decision", and in the other I'd say "but... I probably would though."

For this sequel though, I don't feel like playing it at all, from the trailers and footage I've seen it's really depressing, not the "STALKER" movie kind of depressive that gets under your skin, just the needlessly violent and gory depressive, where characters you know and love get murdered for shock value.  I just... with the pandemic and everything that's going on in the world right now, really don't feel like going 30 straight hours feeling like shit.

See my previous comment, it's innovative because of how half the games budget was spent developing the second half of the game which nobody wanted but none the less was very compelling from a narrative structure point of view. Telling two complete sides of the same story in a video game is very innovative, and while there are many problems with the delivery that is to be expected from such ambition. You could even argue that it was doomed to fail from the start because of how much people loved the OG cast (myself included) but i can step outside of that and see what was trying to be accomplished and respect it

On 7/17/2020 at 12:02 AM, Soldat Du Christ said:

oh shit, Kneel Cuckman BTFO! he'll never recover!

On 7/17/2020 at 2:06 AM, [HP] said:

maaan, stop watching videos and footage, it's gonna taint everything seeing it through the lens of someone else playing.

i'm as big a fan of the first game as you are, own it on both ps3 and ps4, multiple playthroughs, and the second game is brilliant and totally worth playing. all the shit espoused about how the story is destroying characters or betraying memories or a complete failure.. it's all bullshit, and it all comes from a crazy predictable space. just buy it, dedicate an hour to it and see if it doesn't completely grip you.

i give you the RICK'S SPECIAL GUARANTEE you'll enjoy it and it won't depress the shit out of you, much.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:06 PM, [HP] said:

with the pandemic and everything that's going on in the world right now, really don't feel like going 30 straight hours feeling like shit.

It really wasn't that bad. Yes, there were some very sad moments but overall it was just a really good game IMO.