Xanthi

Day of Infamy Map Contest Update: Deadline Extension, Regular Testing

The deadline to update your maps is November 20th at 12:00 PM EST - 2 hours before the playtest starts. This will be the deadline for subsequent playtests which we plan to have take place every Sunday at 2:00 pm EST. If you didn't submit your map yet, please send me a PM as soon as you can so we can make sure it's added on our server.

@Andre Valera We do understand the fact that it's very close to the holidays. However, extending the deadline any further won't go well with our timeframe in terms of judging the contestants, preparing the first place winner's map to be in the game officially (possibly other maps too, we'll see), and general development of Day of Infamy. I hope you understand.

hey @Xanthi We'll (hopefully) be posting a large update to the map file for tomorrow. Please note this will include an update to the mapfile name. We'll be using this name for any playtest version in the future. I'll let you know the filename if we complete it in time.

Cheers

@Xanthi will there be a playtest today.

I updated my map westwall yesterday. Hope you will like the update.

I will try to take place today.

Thx for your answer in advance

Gz Modtools

Edited by modtools

### thx for the playtest guys.

love to play and test the gameplay.

Thx to NWI for this avaiability.

Gz Modtools

Edited by modtools

Hey everyone,

Our playtest last Sunday November 20th went very well, thanks to everyone who showed up and participated. As we said before, we're going to continue to do this testing every week leading up to the contest. The next test will be Sunday the 27th at 2:00 pm EST, with a deadline of map submission/updates for Saturday the 26th at 2:00 pm EST. Please note the change in deadline. This allows us more time to reset the servers and make sure the playlist is still functional.

We have decided that we will not be streaming any more of these playtests. Our original plan was to stream some of them, possibly every other week, but we realized this could be considered unfair. Some maps would get more exposure than others, which could affect their feedback and reception. Not streaming allows everyone involved to focus on gameplay and testing rather than presentation, and lends itself better to fairness in coverage.

Last week we played Brest, Westwall, Foy, Bure, Metz, and Ramelle. There are a lot of maps to go through, 17 as of now, so in the interest of giving every map some level of coverage, we are going to cycle through them. This upcoming Sunday we will play maps Mercury @the0rthopaedicsurgeon - Kruppstahl @JakHalz - Heidel @GRiNET - Alps @Todes - Aachen City @zastels We are saying this now so those authors are aware in case they want to make any sort of preparations.

These playtests are informal and not part of our judging process. 

Looking forward to testing your maps!

@Xanthi

i recently watched the streams of the last playtests and tried to change the things in my map westwall you mentioned.

Will we get more of this feedback in the next playtests ?

It was really helpful because mappers are never objectiv with their own work.

We got much feedback by the community too but its difficult to get the right ideas what to improve best.

Thx in advance for your reply

Gz Modtools

Hey @Xanthi,

this sounds great so far.

One small issue on my end, though. On the first playtest in Dezember (4th) could the starting time be 12 noon EST? This is much easier for those from Europe who have to work on Monday. For example, this would be 6:00 pm in Germany. A decent time where people are able to play more than just one or two rounds/maps.

I hope to achieve something here :) Thanks for listening.

Greetings

HDKHH

18 hours ago, Xanthi said:

... but we realized this could be considered unfair...

It would result in instant internet drama (and the collapse of space-time as we know it).

@Xanthi On a more serious note: I can imagine you got better stuff to do than babysit some hobbyists, but like modtools said: since there is no stream will you maybe find time to post some feedback? Would be topnotch!

@modtools @Todes It's good to hear that you were receptive to the feedback we gave. We wanted to take that opportunity to let you guys hear from the development team itself how we felt the maps could be improved.

However, in the interest of fairness and our own time constraints, we are not able to offer continuous feedback beyond this. It would be difficult to give every one of now 18 maps an equal and fair amount of feedback for each iteration. We did want to give that one round of feedback for all the maps, that was one of the purposes of the streams of which you speak. Hopefully it all was constructive and useful.

We acknowledge that some maps haven't been streamed yet, namely Mercury and Normandy, and they haven't heard any feedback. So for those, or any other new maps that would like to participate in this testing, we'll give some feedback in the form of a post here on MapCore.

@hdkhh_ It is a bit tricky with timezones unfortunately. We chose these times because they are friendlier to people in the US and Canada, especially considering their west coast. We noticed that this timing means more players, and we feel it is important to get plenty of players exposed to these maps and playing them.

Hey @Xanthi in the latest update notes it's mentioned that "Destructible walls allowing for new flanking routes added to all maps." Can you show us the exact location of some?