Day of Infamy Map Contest Update: Deadline Extension, Regular Testing

Xanthi

1 hour ago, Radu said:

Look, the sole purpose of this contest is to generate content for a very early in development game. From a developer's point of view, it would be more beneficial and cost effective to have a larger pool of maps to pick from at the end of the contest. Hence for the deadline extension. Nobody wants to work for free, unless they're really passionate about it. If they kept to the original deadline, a good number of people wouldn't finish their entries and probably wouldn't bother to do so in the absence of a cash motivator. 

To everyone who managed to stay on track by making cuts and sacrificing good ideas, it will seem unfair - which is partially true. Now, the other contestants, who hadn't cut back or can still afford to add in ideas without much trouble, will gain a possible advantage. Though, I assume that isn't of concern to the contest organizers. 

Personally, this deadline extension is of great help. I did not expect it, nor did I ask for it. However, what really bothers me is the negative attitude some people express. I get their point. They had the advantage and now they've lost it. What's even worse, it wasn't by their own fault. This is exactly what it's like to work for a client in any domain. At the end of the day, he has the say. It might no be fair. It might not be the right call. All we can do is adapt or walk away.

Nevertheless, I wish everyone good luck and I honestly hope that by the end we'll all be proud of our levels regardless of the mud we've had to go through.

I have to agree with Zastels on this one. 

This is a competition. Still, if the devs at NWI wanted to extend the deadline by a week or so I would be fine with it.

But by extending a competition where we already have had 2 months of worktime to a whole another month..

That's a 50% increase in time, which is just ludicrous.

I think it is wrong to say that the competitors who are on track are angry because they've lost the advantage.

There is no advantage, there is simply working against a deadline which we do in this business all the time. 

And now because of this we, the people who have planned, produced, cut features and whatnot to be in time, are told we have much more time.
This would've made a significant impact on the initial map design. 

I think this is a scumbag move and frankly I am quite angry with it. 

5 hours ago, zastels said:

I hope they ban FPSBanana contests from Mapcore in the future. I hope FMPone comments on this. 

I want everyone to understand, I am still entering into this contest, but it is with a major fuck you attitude. I am not going to appease to anyone, I work my ass off for free and for a stupid dream. If Mapcore is a professional website it shouldn't associate with whimsical contests. 

I supported the extension because it will lead to better maps. If you're hard at work on your map, finding out that you have more time will be good news. This is how it is for me when I'm working on stuff as well, the goal is to ship the best thing you can and time is a big factor in that.

The best advice I can give you is focus on the player. Ask yourself if players would support devs getting some more time to work on stuff, if you do, the answer will be yes because players know that results in higher quality.

• Sprony pinned this topic

Wow, a lot of negativity here.

I as well planned my entry in such a way it would be feasible to finish it in 2 months time. So getting an extra month in such short notice before the expected end of the contest may seem unfair for those who kept up to a tight schedule until now, and maybe it is a bit indeed.

That being said, I'm going to take full advantage of the extra month and gonna have a look at putting in some extras that I cut beforehand or didn't even plan yet. And improve on what I already have. I'm also glad about the organisation of weekly playtests. 

10 hours ago, zastels said:

I want everyone to understand, I am still entering into this contest, but it is with a major fuck you attitude. I am not going to appease to anyone, I work my ass off for free and for a stupid dream. If Mapcore is a professional website it shouldn't associate with whimsical contests. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but if that's your attitude ... why even bother? 

3 hours ago, zastels said:

I'm not a dev, and neither is anybody else in this contest.

I don't think you understood what FMPONE was trying to say.

5 hours ago, Todes said:

I want to hear anybody say that this extra month of dev time will be detrimental to their maps quality. As far as i see, those who actually finished their entry aren't complaining.

We were 99% done and happy with our product. We're now spending an extra month on it to ensure we're competitive as possible.

I'm sure all of us agree that more time = better product

We can do more, better stuff and playtest a lot more but since it wasn't part of the original plan and announced 10 days before the deadline it still feels like an annoying curveball ESPECIALLY because we asked NWI a couple of weeks ago what the chances were of an extension and they said no, no chance.

Edited by Vaya

Reading all this discussion I wonder if I am the only one who joined because of the fun of making maps besides my regular work as a hobby? :D

@Radu So yeah, some people do like to work for free when they are - as you pointed out - passionate about it. My map is never as good as many of those out there, but it was fun for me to compete and at least get some recognition in the mapping community. Because I am pretty sure no one knew me before this although I have been mapping since COD UO.

To all of you who are being pissed at the moment. I get it somehow - but if you had fun doing what you did it should be worth while, since the podium was not reserved for anyone. Trying to get a positive point across and not to insult anyone - don't know if I succeeded.

Anyhow, good luck to all and have fun mapping!

Greetings

HDKHH

Yeah same here. This is the first big map that I'm creating. I learned a lot about various things while working on this project (Time management, level design, hammer editor ). I'm sure my map won't be as good as anyone else but it doesn't matter. I made some good friends and also got a chance to show my map on livestream (in playtesting).That's a really big thing for me. I had so much fun making this map.

My college exams are starting from 18th so might not have finished my map at 24th. So although I didn't ask for deadline extension, I really appreciate 1 more month and more playtesting.

Edited by kunalht

@Xanthi Is it fair to assume that you probably won't be judging the maps between Dec. 22nd to Jan 1st? This is in reference to my comments/ questions on the 1st page. I think it's fair to ask for at least the 17th of January. 

Keep in mind we were ready for the 22nd of November, I appreciate the extension there's always more to polish / fix about any map without a doubt, but we also have family and friends Xanthi *cue emotional soundtrack* so to make the greatest DoI maps with love in every brush, every hand placed prop, objectives to take you out of your computer chair and into the frontlines of war, we ask you to kindly consider the request

We understand that some people are upset about the extension, because it might seem like a disadvantage for those finalizing their maps and accounting for the previous deadline. However, this extension allows for more time spent testing, iterating, and improving. After testing all the maps ourselves, we found that many of them would benefit from the extra time. We discussed the possibility of an extension internally and decided this was the best way the contest would turn out high quality maps that are a lot of fun to play on, and will be better representative of a person's ability overall. We hope that you all understand our rationale in this and we look forward to playing your levels.

This works for me! I believe this is also beneficial for the game as a whole. The more maps that is really well made and not rushed to meet a deadline, the better in the long run as i supposed the winners and runner ups will be in the game after the comp. (correct me if im wrong)

So, lets get to it. Hf

• MapCore on Discord

• Our picks

• Mapcore X Prodeus Winners Announced!
      The winners of Mapcore X2 Prodeus 
      1st place: Paws [ Retail Therapy ]
      P-link: m-MC0iuUs2j6

- $1,500.00 USD 
      - One year of Humble Choice 
      - Excalibur Shotgun and Gauntlets (skins)
      - Biker Gloves (skin) 
      - Special winners role on the Prodeus Discord

2nd Place: Grays [ Firebase Kodai ]
      P-link: m-5J9cCzaepH

- $1000.00 USD 
      - 1 month to Humble Choice 
      - Excalibur Gauntlets + Biker Gloves (skins) 

3rd Place: Vladd [ Maximum Menace ]
      P-link: m-9yZfaAliyx

- $500.00 USD 
      - 1 month to Humble Choice 
      - Biker Gloves (skin)

All of the winners will also be showcased on our Youtube channel, and because we had so many amazing entries, we’ll be showcasing parts of our Staff Picks too. 

We want to thank the wonderful folks over at Mapcore for hosting this sick competition, and a big ol shoutout to our sponsor Humble Games (who publish Prodeus), for making a large contribution to our prize pool this time around. 

Looking forward to the next competition already! Maybe will do a coop one with teams allowed? WHO KNOW!? Can't wait, see you then!

• 2 replies