Xanthi

Day of Infamy Map Contest Update: Deadline Extension, Regular Testing

Hey everyone,

We’ve decided to extend the deadline for the Day of Infamy mapping contest from November 24th to December 22nd. Your final map will now be due on December 22nd.

We noticed that some map makers were requesting more time. These nearly four extra weeks will hopefully give all our contestants more time to polish and finalize their maps. We are already excited by everything we’ve seen so far in our community playtests, and can’t wait to see how the maps turn out.

Also of note, we are going to start having regular playtests with developers and DoI players every Sunday at 2:00 pm EST, 8:00 pm GMT+1. Some of these playtests will be streamed as we have done previously, but not every week. Please understand that we are not necessarily able to provide equal time for every person’s map in these tests, or in any livestreams of these tests. Map makers are encouraged to join us to see their maps in action with players playing on them.

If you want to have your map included in these tests, direct message me here on Mapcore and our team can add your map to the playtest list here to be tested: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?edit=true&id=793269906

If you already have a map on the playlist, feel free to update it as you see fit. We will restart and reupload any updated maps to our servers before each test. Please remember to not change your map’s name.

Be sure to join our Day of Infamy Steam community group so you get event updates whenever we test: http://steamcommunity.com/games/447820

Thanks and good luck on all your continued work!
Edited by Xanthi

I agree with @Terri

I deliberately cut down on features to meet the deadline. Now I'd have to scrap quite a chunk of Level Art to adapt and improve the Level Design at this state. I find this (massive) extension unfair to people with proper time management.

Anyways, thanks for the heads-up and especially for the regular playtests that will happen from now on. This will be of great help to everyone who participates.

Edited by poLemin
words.

I also feel that due to a whole month being added, especially since it will now lead up right into Christmas holidays, it only seems in order for the prize pool to be extended too, by at least a third.

The prize pool already is pretty high compared to other competitions like that. I don't think that is appropriate. The competition should just stick to it's detail through it's course.

9 minutes ago, poLemin said:

The prize pool already is pretty high compared to other competitions like that. I don't think that is appropriate. The competition should just stick to it's detail through it's course.

Yes it really should stick to how it was detailed, but if changes like this are made it makes sense to up prizes for more work.

//

Also, can this now be split into two phases?

What I mean is to have a submission deadline on the 24th, and then just those maps that are submitted are allowed for final entry on the 22nd of December. Just like how the UT4 mapping contest was held.

I really want to know fully what I'm up against before spending another month's work on this.

@Xanthi Would it make sense to push the contest after December 22nd? Possibly January 17th (Sometime after the first couple weekends for people to get in their last playtests, compile and pack after a long weekend) 

I can't imagine that you'll be in the office judging our maps between December 22nd and January 2nd, and if that's true and you're going to judge them after the Holidays then why not give us the time to continue to developing during the Holiday break.

I don't support this decision at all.
I find this very unfair and annoying since we all have planned and worked out our levles with the time given in mind.
Now suddenly we have a lot more time and will basically have to do fundamental changes to the core structure of the map.

Not good.

I hope they ban FPSBanana contests from Mapcore in the future. I hope FMPone comments on this. 

I want everyone to understand, I am still entering into this contest, but it is with a major fuck you attitude. I am not going to appease to anyone, I work my ass off for free and for a stupid dream. If Mapcore is a professional website it shouldn't associate with whimsical contests. 

Edited by zastels

Look, the sole purpose of this contest is to generate content for a very early in development game. From a developer's point of view, it would be more beneficial and cost effective to have a larger pool of maps to pick from at the end of the contest. Hence for the deadline extension. Nobody wants to work for free, unless they're really passionate about it. If they kept to the original deadline, a good number of people wouldn't finish their entries and probably wouldn't bother to do so in the absence of a cash motivator. 

To everyone who managed to stay on track by making cuts and sacrificing good ideas, it will seem unfair - which is partially true. Now, the other contestants, who hadn't cut back or can still afford to add in ideas without much trouble, will gain a possible advantage. Though, I assume that isn't of concern to the contest organizers. 

Personally, this deadline extension is of great help. I did not expect it, nor did I ask for it. However, what really bothers me is the negative attitude some people express. I get their point. They had the advantage and now they've lost it. What's even worse, it wasn't by their own fault. This is exactly what it's like to work for a client in any domain. At the end of the day, he has the say. It might no be fair. It might not be the right call. All we can do is adapt or walk away.

Nevertheless, I wish everyone good luck and I honestly hope that by the end we'll all be proud of our levels regardless of the mud we've had to go through.