Quotingmc

Black Mirror

What’s all this about what this writer idea was? I’m not coping to fact check it, but one episode credits an author as the screen fades to black, I would imagine it is the episode Pilkinton shared on that podcast.

A feature film could be coming out in 10 days, and could be featuring the "choose your story" technology that Netflix was building in collab with Telltale Games

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/black-mirror-film-bandersnatch-looks-set-to-debut-on-netflix-before-end-of-2018/ar-BBRddNk?ocid=spartanntp

And there we go... the entitlement generation now will not only have infinite choices of what to watch, but also choose how stories unfold! They are going to be so happy! This generation is truly doomed :lol: (<-- this is what age does to a man, he becomes cynical and starts barking at trees)

Anybody tried this? We watched/played last night and found about ten endings – not sure they are all considered main endings, but yeah. Pretty cool. I’m particularly impressed with the editing, is incredibly smooth transitioning that I think I only noticed once a glaring “stitch”, otherwise flows smoothly. Nice the little additional details you get depending on smaller choices.

this featurette popped up

no mention of the collab with TTG, I wonder if it actually was developed all the way through. Also I would imagine the Netflix devs to be able to do this themselves… I wonder if they’ll do a full serie that uses this tech.

Edited by blackdog

2 hours ago, Vaya said:

it was okay. lack of real choice but I guess thats part of the point

What game does actually give you choice? I think part of the fun with adventure games is finding the way to the different endings(?).

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

What game does actually give you choice? I think part of the fun with adventure games is finding the way to the different endings(?).

Just recently, Detroid Become Human comes to mind, your choices actually have huge consequences in that game. Beautiful game too, recommended.
I liked this, it was a great experiment for Netflix and the show, but if you played Walking Dead, Life is Strange or any of David Cage's games, it's hard not to find it underwhelming in it's execution.

Gotta say I really liked the writing tho, I'm a big fan of charlie brooker.

2 hours ago, [HP] said:

Just recently, Detroid Become Human comes to mind, your choices actually have huge consequences in that game. Beautiful game too, recommended.
I liked this, it was a great experiment for Netflix and the show, but if you played Walking Dead, Life is Strange or any of David Cage's games, it's hard not to find it underwhelming in it's execution.

Gotta say I really liked the writing tho, I'm a big fan of charlie brooker.

What I mean is the “choice” you get in games is never “real”, you only have the options presented to you. Isn’t that the metric being used to judge these games, how many choice you get?

Anyway we can’t even compare to a real game like those you mentioned… I mean is meant to run on smart-TVs* and simply bring interactivity to a mass of people that doesn’t play games. I’ve recently heard the Netflix CEO being quoted on him saying at some point that “Netflix greatest competitor is sleep”… so I guess this is an experiment in engagement more than anything.

*speaking of which, I was disappointed by the fact that my smart-tv wasn’t supported, even the Amazon Fire TV! They both have d-pads so I’m really curious to know what are their minimum requirements and for what reasons. I played this thing on the NowTV Roku box, which afaik as less to equal power/specs.

Yeah, I get it. I see what they tried to do here, it's an interesting experiment that tbh I doubt it'll take off. Also, the mass market hates the concept of choice, they get petrified looking at the screen not knowing what to do, they don't watch TV to make meaningful choices, they usually do it to turn off their brains.

As for real choice, that's impossible to do right now, unless we'd have lifelike AI that would adjust to every one of your decisions. Right now, you get 2, 3 or 4 choices that branch out to different paths as you said, which is great, it allows the devs to have some creative control over the outcome, it's a good in between, that's why I love all of David Cage's games.