Sign in to follow this  
Mazy

Red Dead Redemption 2

13 minutes ago, [HP] said:

I would probably read the original article as well, it's actually a really interesting read. R* is a fascinating company to say the least.

Yeah, I read that as well. I've been impressed with Rockstar's games for a long time now and RDR2's world design seems to be the pinnacle of their work. Still, 100 work hours weeks are insane. 

3 minutes ago, Radu said:

Yeah, I read that as well. I've been impressed with Rockstar's games for a long time now and RDR2's world design seems to be the pinnacle of their work. Still, 100 work hours weeks are insane. 

It's a ridiculous standard to work that many hours. Balance is key in life. I'm sure if they cut the RDR2 map 30% shorter and because of that they only needed to do 60 hour weeks, it would still be an amazing GOTY quality game.
Bigger doesn't mean better, and these open world games keep getting bigger and bigger, boasting that the game is thousands of miles long is not necessarily a selling bullet point for me, quality over quantity.

Damage control has started:

Rockstar sent over a statement, also attributed to Dan Houser:

There seems to be some confusion arising from my interview with Harold Goldberg. The point I was trying to make in the article was related to how the narrative and dialogue in the game was crafted, which was mostly what we talked about, not about the different processes of the wider team. After working on the game for seven years, the senior writing team, which consists of four people, Mike Unsworth, Rupert Humphries, Lazlow and myself, had, as we always do, three weeks of intense work when we wrapped everything up. Three weeks, not years. We have all worked together for at least 12 years now, and feel we need this to get everything finished. After so many years of getting things organized and ready on this project, we needed this to check and finalize everything.

More importantly, we obviously don’t expect anyone else to work this way. Across the whole company, we have some senior people who work very hard purely because they’re passionate about a project, or their particular work, and we believe that passion shows in the games we release. But that additional effort is a choice, and we don’t ask or expect anyone to work anything like this. Lots of other senior people work in an entirely different way and are just as productive – I’m just not one of them! No one, senior or junior, is ever forced to work hard. I believe we go to great lengths to run a business that cares about its people, and to make the company a great place for them to work.

What can I say that hasn’t already been said? Game’s really good, the visuals and music is powerful and the voice acting is exceptional. Controls are going to take a while getting used to, there’s just so many buttons that I keep accidentally shooting while setting up an ambush. 🤦‍♂️

I'm enjoying it so far. Controls can be a bit clunky.

I don't understand how they've built the world though... I'm looking for seams but can't find any on cliffs etc. Anyone got any idea how they did it? Looks like they're using decals or something to mask seams? Like, just go to a river and you'll see these cool mudslide type things on the side... Must be a model. But the transition to terrain is seamless.