Sign in to follow this  
Mazy

Red Dead Redemption 2

What a game. I caved and bought my first Xbox One game in forever.

As PogoP said, controls can be clunky. First thing i did when i rode into town i forgot to brake and killed a guy riding over him. Got into a shootout with the law.

Now im wanted in that town. Guess i'll roam the woods till i can pay my bounty, lol.

7 hours ago, PogoP said:

I'm enjoying it so far. Controls can be a bit clunky.

I don't understand how they've built the world though... I'm looking for seams but can't find any on cliffs etc. Anyone got any idea how they did it? Looks like they're using decals or something to mask seams? Like, just go to a river and you'll see these cool mudslide type things on the side... Must be a model. But the transition to terrain is seamless. 

https://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2018/presentations/ProceduralWorldGeneration.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1VkKEJV4M19BomTtA0QEi6gtHhaQ8kaHSkpnx9jEVEtBUovNCSFJIhwxY

similar technique i would think

Edited by Vilham

On 10/30/2018 at 2:44 AM, Vilham said:

That's a badass link. 

I'm still lingering around Valentine, taking it all in. 

Been playing for 3 straight days. Not doing anything else.

Main story spoilers below.

Spoiler

Just wow. What a masterpiece of a game. The story, the characters, the graphics.

During this scene tears started coming, you know what was going to happen. And you did not want it to happen. Arthur <3.

Edited by Tisky

I feel like this article summaries my thoughts on this game quite well actually: https://www.patreon.com/posts/thoughts-on-red-22570692. I wouldn't say I find it to be a disappointment at all, but I do feel like I was expecting something a bit more from it. I haven't finished it though, still a long way to go and have been enjoying it more now that I'm spending time outside of the quests (as with the guy in the article) and playing with the radar off as well, which can get a bit tricky but does help with world immersion. 

2 hours ago, PaulH said:

I feel like this article summaries my thoughts on this game quite well actually: https://www.patreon.com/posts/thoughts-on-red-22570692. I wouldn't say I find it to be a disappointment at all, but I do feel like I was expecting something a bit more from it. I haven't finished it though, still a long way to go and have been enjoying it more now that I'm spending time outside of the quests (as with the guy in the article) and playing with the radar off as well, which can get a bit tricky but does help with world immersion. 

You playing with radar off totally or with the compass turned on?

I'm sticking with the compass, and I like that I can access the radar every now and again by just tapping dpad down.

1 hour ago, [HP] said:

You playing with radar off totally or with the compass turned on?

I'm sticking with the compass, and I like that I can access the radar every now and again by just tapping dpad down.

At the moment I'm playing with it all totally off. It's actually quite nice. I feel more rewarded for figuring things out and it's teaching me to pay more attention. I realise it makes things slow but it's a pretty slow game anyway so I thought why not double down 🙂

Edited by PaulH

39 minutes ago, PaulH said:

At the moment I'm playing with it all totally off. It's actually quite nice. I feel more rewarded for figuring things out and it's teaching me to pay more attention. I realise it makes things slow but it's a pretty slow game anyway so I thought why not double down 🙂

Interesting, might try that myself!

I love that the game is slow, I was not expecting this at all. it really helps immersing yourself, and when action does pick up, it becomes really meaningful.

Anyone played any more of this? I sold it on Ebay after a week... I was just really bored. Well, bored isn't really the word.. I was doing a lot of hunting which was quite good fun but I just didn't care about the story. Maybe I'm just not that into Westerns or something? Not really sure, but it just didn't click for me.

Looks beautifully realistic. Probably one of the most realistic games I've ever seen. But I don't think I really enjoy 'cinematic' games these days. I was the same with Uncharted. I think a lot of people are getting enjoyment out of the story and the characters and their progression, but I just had no interest in them. I think if I'd played this a few years ago, I'd have really enjoyed it, but I can't really justify the time sink now.

I've talked with a few people who didn't like it at all, and usually it's due to the same criticism: "it's way too slow, and nothing of interest ever happens."

I can see where you're coming from with this, I'm barely on chapter 3 (someone told me things REALLY pick up the pace around chapter 5 btw) and I'm finding the slower pace to be extremly refreshing for a AAA game, this game really is consuming my life, I find myself thinking about it a lot, even when I'm not playing it. I like the loot system, the world and how you interact with it, it's a really impressive package overall. It feels like a very mature game.

There's some things I don't like, I hate that you have to position the character perfectly to pick up an item so the prompt appears (Witcher 3 suffered from the same thing), weirdly the combat is sub par if you compare it to RDR1, it just feels very clunky to move and aim, you get used to it but it's a bit of a shame.