Sign in to follow this  
abc

Erdbeere (working title)

Setting

This map is an old concept of mine that's been lying dormant for quite some time. I originally had started it as a DoD:S map, but abandoned the project after the game's community all but completely died out. My original idea for the map was a fictional German invasion of the Eastern coast of the US, and as such most much of my reference material was from small New England towns.

Gameplay

The centerpiece of the map is a large house in the center of the town, which serves as a strong defensive position, having windows on all sides. This house functions as the center control point in all game modes. (currently I'm planning on supporting liberation, frontline, and offensive). The map features dynamic medium to close range battles. For example, you need long range weapons to secure the open areas outside of the house, but flamethrowers and grenades will be crucial in actually clearing the house of enemies.

The map also includes pathways along the sandy coastal area that acts as a large secondary flank which, although it will take longer to take that route, can you give you a jump on the enemy when they're well embedded in the center of the map. The beach area also serves as a control point in liberation mode.

Screenshots

There are still random textures and assets strewn about as I try to decide the overall theme, but here are some screens to give you an idea. I also haven't put any real thought into the sky or lighting yet.

384CE5AAF86342B7E74E06340781BFE9565011CA

387D6A795C3711BE4D577AAAC7CD07F23BE5076A

E825E63C39267823AEFC11DADCA573255F50ACFBAF2AF875246E5F9A8AC282C9D18C8CC4D41BA475C61B7FD7ACD26805E6ECD5FFE4BE07E9D8D27293CF261919FBFBBF8CA6149AD5D8A9F6F769886885680FFDAC7AE8A52B35EB9883C75853BE68921BA251FD67FD47BCBE9D2FD6C0717D8BA9F0AB3120C2

Some refence material

ref.PNG

Edited by Christian H

interesting map. I'd recommend giving the lighting another pass and brightening up the gameplay area- work to improve flow and ensure players have a smooth path to objectives.

Unfortunately I did not get to play this map, but I have a question. What is the reason for naming it Erdbeere? As a native German speaker, it feels very odd to me to call a level set in WW2 "strawberry" :D

6 hours ago, poLemin said:

Unfortunately I did not get to play this map, but I have a question. What is the reason for naming it Erdbeere? As a native German speaker, it feels very odd to me to call a level set in WW2 "strawberry" :D

Much of my original inspiration and reference materials were from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawbery_Banke

(the map setting is a fictional german invasion of the east coast of the US)

The name is an homage to that. I looked up the German word for strawberry and it sounded like a cool word, so that was the extent of my naming decision. Having said that, I haven't ruled out changing the name, and input from a native german speaker is helpful :)  Does it sound too silly?

Edited by Christian H

1 minute ago, Christian H said:

Much of my original inspiration and reference materials were from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawbery_Banke

(the map setting is a fictional german invasion of the east coast of the US)

The name is an homage to that. I looked up the German word for strawberry and it sounded like a cool word - Having said that, I haven't ruled out changing the name, and input from a native german speaker is helpful :)  Does it sound too silly?

I see! Wasn't aware of that.

Unfortunately "Erdbeere" sounds really odd for this setting. BUT that is not necessarily bad. German speaking people are definitely not the majority of players in DoI and for those who are, a name like that might be memorable ;) I won't suggest you to change the name, I just wanted to check up wether you know what "Erdbeere" means. People can come across a lot of weird translations on the internet :P

Sign in to follow this