Sign in to follow this  
wslysnps

Contest Entry [Unnamed Map] dod inspired.

5 hours ago, MeisterYoon said:

Wow happy to see more maps getting introduced. Looks very promising as well. May i ask from which dod maps is this map inspired?

The maps i draw inspiration from are mainly dod_heutau from the betas, dod_ramelle (in one of it's iterations) and of course dod_caen.
I think there's actually a lot more that are just sneaking in there, seeing that i've been playing day of defeat, on and off of course, for over a decade. It's close to my heart and this mod, sometimes, bring out those same feelings as day of defeat used to.

Edited by wslysnps

This maps shaping up well!

I like the look of the smaller areas, I'm not sure if they're flanking routes or main path. But im sure they'll be great fun to battle around. Splitting up the big battle areas with smaller more controlled areas is nice in my opinion. Allowing players to pick and choose their battles more. This not only helps more people enjoy your map, but is also ideal for classes such as the new flamethrower class. They need close quarters to dominate the enemy.

The third image currently, has a wide open area. Be carful of optimization as you well know.

Good luck with this - Daruth505

2 hours ago, Daruth505 said:

This maps shaping up well!

I like the look of the smaller areas, I'm not sure if they're flanking routes or main path. But im sure they'll be great fun to battle around. Splitting up the big battle areas with smaller more controlled areas is nice in my opinion. Allowing players to pick and choose their battles more. This not only helps more people enjoy your map, but is also ideal for classes such as the new flamethrower class. They need close quarters to dominate the enemy.

The third image currently, has a wide open area. Be carful of optimization as you well know.

Good luck with this - Daruth505

Thank you! 

Yeah, my plan was to have three large "arena's" where the capture points are located, and then a whole bunch of sneaky routes that connects to the main routes. Small fights in smaller areas, flanking the enemy as they're maybe trying to capture a point, retrieving into the alleys as you loose your point. 
I'm also really into sneaky beaky sniper spots that makes you feel like you're really in your own little cocoon, just you and your rifle. 

As far as optimization goes, i'll try my best. (:

That all sounds brilliant and what a fantastic reply overall.

I like your recently posted plans, clearly and carfully addressing my feedback. The 'arenas' sound great! Don't make too many entrances, it truly depends on your own creation but don't be adding over 6 main paths entrances to one object. This would create great confusion for players, along with making it harder to cap/defend. But im very sure you won't have too many or too little for that matter. These are just little reminders that i sometimes forget myself, my opinion.

Those sniper spots sound interesting. Adding little areas that aren't overpowered locations, while you reward the sniper. Making him/her feel more at home.

Keep up the great work so far, looks very nice indeed - Daruth505

Little update on the project. Im currently working on a deadline that is 1st of November. There i hope to be able to have the map in such a state that is it ready to playtest.
I shall have a map overview ready soon, but i want it to look good and not just be a top down screenshot.

Here's there latest pathway from middle leading up towards capture point C. 

20161006163714_1.jpg

20161006163651_1.jpg

Edited by wslysnps

1 hour ago, zastels said:

It's tricky to map on angles like that, 200% more work I would say. Definitely worth it though, it looks natural and compelling. 

Yeah it gets kinda tricky, cutting brushes and aligning models, but hell. It also gets kinda boring when every street and road is on a 90 degree angle.

31 minutes ago, MeisterYoon said:

Wow this looks so natural and realistic. Just wow.

Thanks mr yoon!

Okay so just a couple of photos. Getting my lighting as i want it (gloomy).
My middle is almost done, capture point B will be there, inbetween those plant beds (is that a word,even?)
I keep adding smal new routes to the map, so getting a large overview is kinda hard atm.
Hope to have more soon. My deadline for playtesting is stil November the first. Fingers crossed i'll make it.

20161008163407_1.jpg

20161019174324_1.jpg

Okay so it's getting there. Dont want to post a lot of screenshots because i can never seem to get a shot without an orange wall or some placeholders, and that kind of annoys me.
I'm really struggling between having the map take place on a rainy day or on a sunny day. Right now im messing around with the sun, and it just looks more appetizing. Then again, gloomy, rainy weather just brings a lot to the table when it comes to the mood and feel. Im torn.. Does anybody have some input? 

I'm thinking about making a run through the map on video, so when time comes to play it, people know the layout and it doesn't seem all that foreign. I often have a hard time getting into maps if they're too complicated to navigate in the first two or three playthroughs, and so i really don't want it to be alienating. 

Well, anyway. Just a bit of a ramble. Don't know if it made any sense. 

Here's a picture of a garage/storage room leading out to middle. 

20161025160539_1.jpg

If you want to play it safe, go for sunny. People tend to prefer that kind of setting.

Edited by Radu

Sign in to follow this