Sign in to follow this  
poLemin

Metz [Offensive]

Hey everybody!

First of all, I'd like to thank all the involved parties (New World Interactive, MapCore and Gamebanana) for hosting this contest!

I am not really comfortable showing off work at this early stage, but I still want to share my process of my contest submission Metz.

The level is set in the city of Metz, based on the Battle of Metz, happened in late 1944. The real battle started in the woods around Metz and involved massive german fortifications. I however cut this part and the player jumps right into the action of the battle inside the city. You can read more about the Battle of Metz at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Metz

The gameplay is designed to be a mix between close combat and long range sniping. The playable area consists of several rather straight streets with loads of walkable buildings next to them. The key landmark is the river Moselle, where the battle from capture point B to C will happen. Without further ado, here are some screenshots of my current progress (Warning: Heavy WIP)

JsT48lN.jpg

WYqYJE7.jpg

sFFQsWQ.jpg

Cheers

Especially the third image currently, that view, that design... just looks great! I believe would bring great variety to each and every match. This is important to keep players wanting to play more. The different routes and angles players can utilize seems great!

Where possible i would add bridges across the map, where bodys of water lay. This is not needed, however is a personal favorite of mine.

Keep it up! - Daruth505

45 minutes ago, Daruth505 said:

Especially the third image currently, that view, that design... just looks great! I believe would bring great variety to each and every match. This is important to keep players wanting to play more. The different routes and angles players can utilize seems great!

Where possible i would add bridges across the map, where bodys of water lay. This is not needed, however is a personal favorite of mine.

Keep it up! - Daruth505

Thanks for the feedback!

The area around the river will be played, as stated originally, only be played in mid to late game. Attackers eventually will have to cross the river to get to the next objective. Therefore I want to keep the amount of bridges to a minimum, so defenders do not have a too many paths to cover at once. I might upload an overview of the current map later today, so you can get a better idea of where this is heading to.

I'd love too see more post indeed.

Sounds like a nice idea you got here. But if more bridges are needed, there always welcomed in my eyes... within these settings/themes. You could always include two more as paths from a spawn point, away from the battle or possible distant views. But i shouldn't keep focusing on bridges,bridges,bridges. As i said i really do like the other areas just as much. Its shaping up well, i can see this being a great competitor in this competition. Really solid map so far, it seems.

:)

Alright, time for some screenshots. I still have a few sections I am not 100% finished on Level Design wise, but I use the time when I get stuck and do some rough Level Art. Time is precious tho, and with the amount of people already quitting the competition I started worrying about wether I have enough time to work on the level besides my full-time job and other obligations. But I am still eager to try, even if I am not 100% content with the outcome.

Okay, less whining, more screenshots:

W3dWvJj.jpgJECdP0G.jpgm4ysLnB.jpgAPOYSG2.jpg

Edited by poLemin

You're making good progress. I'm a tad behind schedule as well, but I reckon there's still enough time to pull off a "homer". I recommend you extend the roof a bit over the building's edge; right now it looks very flat.

Played this yesterday and had a lot of fun - it's obviously still in the early stages but I have a good feeling about the layout. The field that the allies approach from has a very epic feel to it, as does the whole map in general.

Only thing that feels is a little off is that some of the areas just feel a little too big and far apart, but I think that's something that will be solved as you add more detail and cover to the streets.

1 hour ago, Christian H said:

Played this yesterday and had a lot of fun - it's obviously still in the early stages but I have a good feeling about the layout. The field that the allies approach from has a very epic feel to it, as does the whole map in general.

Only thing that feels is a little off is that some of the areas just feel a little too big and far apart, but I think that's something that will be solved as you add more detail and cover to the streets.

Thanks for the feedback. Currently the open field at the start is very unbalanced unfortunately. Axis can wipe a lot of players by a cleverly placed artillery strike. The approach to A is way too hard, but i am already working on it! The streets and open areas are something that I haven't touched yet since I focused on creating the side routes through the buildings. Therefore a lot of cover is missing of course.

57 minutes ago, okaycomputer said:

germans definitely need more exits from their last spawn outside C. too easy for americans to get into C and just camp their one exit

Absolutely. I was in quite a rush towards the deadline of the playtest submission. Therefore I just put the necessary things there and aimed for feedback for Objective A and B first. This issue will be addressed in the future. Thanks for pointing out!

First iteration of trying to fix the first zone:

Added a barn for a frontal push approach and more cover on both of the flanks

YmYxMEt.jpg

Added a flanking possibility for the top floor of Objective A

GllkPM1.jpg

The map on the workshop has been updated and will hopefully be updated on the public servers aswell: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=792840174

Cheers

Sign in to follow this