mr_ah_clem

DOD_Donner Inspired Remake

Here is another update.    Sorry for the fog but I really haven't detailed anything so your not missing much.   This photo is more to show the map and its routes.  It looks linear but I have made sure that attackers and defenders have at least 3 attacking lanes to each objective.  With sewers and other surprises it will be possible to outflank entrenched defenders or attackers.  Also all buildings (almost) are interable (is that a word) and sniping positions abound.  Maybe too many actually,  Not a lot of cover in the streets but that will change with detailing.   Looking forward to the playtest in two weeks.  As you can see I have a lot of work to do.  Sleep will be a luxury.

Carry on.

update_1.jpg

update.jpg

@mr_ah_clem I know that feeling so well. Sometimes a break is good - inspiring even. Other times you just lose momentum the longer you stay away from the project. Though, it's important not to burn out. Take a day or two off. Do something different. 

Edited by Radu

A couple of weeks before the playtest and there is so much to be done.  The list is endless but I think progress is being made.  Actually having a good time playtesting my map.  The last stand in the church bunker is a tough one.  Ooohrahh.  A couple of photos,  Thanks for everyone's support.

dianville_009a.jpg

dianville_009.jpg

Looking at the first photo I see a jillion things I need to fix.  Arrghh.  The whole road situation will be revisited.  Its too straight.

Looking good, you've made a ton of progress in a short amount of time. 

Some things that stood out to me: 

Try to spice up your "in level" foliage a bit. I just see alot of the same dead tree model. (I reckon it's probably just placeholder for now.) I know it's hard with most of the foliage being from Insurgency and all but some of it looks good in a France setting.

"models/foliage/tree402medium.mdl", "models/foliage/tree402medium.mdl" (skin 1) and "models/props_foliage/onyxtree/celtis_occidentalis/tree1.mdl" are some of my favorites.

I liked your grass texture you had in the 3d skybox in previous screenshots over the current mud one, the mud seems off to me.

Lighting feels very flat and gray, maybe add some more color to your environment lighting it if you're still going for the early morning feel? (although I'm not sure if these are HDR compiles, so maybe ignore that.)

Your sky texture looks almost greenish from these screenshots which feels off for me, and doesn't fully sell me into the setting. Maybe it's just the angle though, or maybe there's a very tall horizon texture in the 3dsky?

I like the idea of the final battle in the church, and the brushwork on it looks solid!

Seems like you've been working hard! It's definitely no easy feat to get a map this far, keep it up!

Thanks loads.  Your points are right on. Some I knew about, some I didn't.  Today I am going to work the fog AGAIN.  Try a brownish tint.  Haven 't really touched details like vegetation yet.  Thanks again and check back and see if I addressed these.

For making fog adjustments, are you using the fogui command?  It will allow you to modify the color and intensity of your playarea and skybox fog while in-game.  Just write down the settings you finish with and make the changes to your map entities...it saves a great deal of time.  

Hey Chief,  Yeah I've used the fogui adjuster.  It works well, but I just keeping screwing around with the settings.  But to be honest I've been so

concerned with getting the map to a state where I feel comfortable I haven't had time to get qualified on fog yet.  It will hopefully get its time to shine.

Thanks for the help, it really helps to know people care enough to comment.

3 hours ago, mr_ah_clem said:

A few days before the playtest so its time to start detailing a bit.  First texture, lighting, detail pass.   See you all at the playtest.

20161101205554_1.jpg

You really managed to turn it around. I'm really curious to see how it plays.

Edited by Radu