mr_ah_clem

DOD_Donner Inspired Remake

Hi, just introducing myself.   I have started to block out a remake of the map dod_donner as an Offensive map to start with other modes to follow. The only pictures yet would be dev blocks but I will post updates as I go along.  No idea what I will call the map.

It will be a set in a french village at dawn.  Lots of smoke and fog.  House to house.  ooorah.

Warning:  Everything will change drastically as I detail but here's the plan

france_3.jpg

The last Capture point will end up being inside the church eventually.  The radio will be in the offices to the side.

Slow going but we are making progress.  Right now we are trying to faithfully follow (with designer license) the donner gameplay.  After that I intend to open it up considerably.  Most if not all buildings will be enterable.  Plus I will add some "easter egg" paths (breakable walls, ladders, walkways, tunnels) for those who like to sneak around.

fr_shot.jpg

I hope the map is / will be kind of 2x larger than donner. Due to POV of Source Engine compared to Goldsource of HL1, dod_donner on dod:source looked too narrowed and tiny.

Furthurmore i definately think more pararell streets need to be added, as donner was really narrowed map overall.

Thx for the effort and keep it up :D

I agree very much.  I am struggling a bit to keep the house by house, street by street feel of the original map with the added constraints of Insurgency style play.  The dev notes suggest they have struggled with adapting the gameplay as well.  At this stage I think its prudent to map out something akin to the original and then open it up more.   Stay tuned.  Thank you very much for the comment.  I don't want to do this in a vacum.

Oh and as far as size, I agree to a point.  This map is really big now at roughly 8000 X 14000.  I think this is on a par with current Insurgency maps, I think.  Much bigger than this,  and when properly detailed it will run very slow.  Source just can't handle really big maps.   It will strain my meager optimization skills as it is.  But again, thanks for the input.  Keep it coming.

OOOooo very nice update. I like how most of your buildings will be enter-able, this truly reminds me of past WW2 games overall.

The flow to the overall map appears to be GREAT! Pushing down these narrow roads forcing the enemy front line back. I would personally like too see broken buildings within your map, i'm sure you'll add something like this at one point. This will keep the artillery strike more viable across the battle. The roads work perfectly for this factor too.

This should be great fun overall! - Daruth505

Ok we are approaching a month out.  Time to wrap up  non detail brush work and get serious about detail brushes, displacements, and props.  Game tests pretty nicely so far.  The last stand in the bunker below the church is particularly exciting.   No real optimization yet but still holding 70 fps with 20 bots.  Thank you func_detail.

A few photos;

20161017095809_1.jpg

20161017095927_1.jpg

20161017095456_1.jpg

18 minutes ago, mr_ah_clem said:

20161017095809_1.jpg

Nice :)

Just noticed something: I'm assuming the 2 houses with orange tile roof are part of the 3D sky. If so, you need to tweak the fog distance values in your sky_camera to flow with the playable part of the map and appear seamless. Right now they look "fogless" compared to the houses in the map.

Keep it up

Wow, first, I've read and watched all your stuff.  I'm honored.  Yes.  Just starting to play with fog but your right I haven't balanced the fog very well here but the map in the oven right now should look a lot better.  Please keep checking in.  Anything you can point out I'm sure will save me tons of time.

Thanks

20161017181006_1.jpg

Edited by mr_ah_clem
Updated, still a little strong on the sky_camera, but better