Sign in to follow this  
NickMBR

Guadalcanal (Offensive)

Hello guys! I decided do bring a very ambitious idea to DOI. This is the setting I`m hoping to bring to life:

GUADALCANAL - Solomon Islands - October 1942

In the battle, U.S. Marine and Army forces, repulsed an attack by the Japanese 17th Army. The U.S. forces were defending the Lunga perimeter, which guarded Henderson Field on Guadalcanal, that had been captured from the Japanese by the Allies in landings on Guadalcanal on 7 August 1942. Hyakutake's force was sent to Guadalcanal in response to the Allied landings with the mission of recapturing the airfield and driving the Allied forces off of the island.

Hyakutake's soldiers conducted numerous assaults over three days at various locations around the Lunga perimeter, all repulsed with heavy Japanese losses. At the same time, Allied aircraft operating from Henderson Field successfully defended U.S. positions on Guadalcanal from attacks by Japanese naval air and sea forces.

On this map, I'm planning to make a very dense and narrow forest around the Henderson Field with some photo references:

FMcq4oV.png

battaglia-di-edsons-ridge.jpg

The airfield is way to open and large to recreate on scale, so I'm planning to reduce the size of the airfield, as it was "under construction" on that time, and with that some fresh cut trees. At first I wanted to create a forest battle, with rivers and high bushes, but I still don't know where to start if I were to make that. Maybe before the airfield, crossing a river inside the forest, capturing points and then proceeding to capture the airfield, if that makes any sense.

Features:

• Planes crossing the sky and dropping bombs on random locations outside the battle zone
  • Usable heavy machine guns and mortars (?)
  • More...

Teams: USA vs JAPAN

Layout:

Not done yet, but since this is an offensive map, it'll start on the dense forest, with the USA defending the first point on a river of somekind inside the perimiter of the airfield, the last point will be inside the airfield.

Covers and Lines of Fire:

Covers will consist of high trees, bushes, sand bags, river beds and rocks. The lines of fire still need some heavy planning.

This is what I have for now, I'll be posting updates as soon as I make something!

Edited by NickMBR

12 minutes ago, ashton93 said:

Sounds very cool, but isn't it a pretty big problem for this map that the Japanese army isnt a faction in the game? (at least so far)

Well, I was thinking in making some basic skins for the imperial army and maybe some logos, but this is as far as I can go from what I could see on the script side of DoI, but I'll dig further. I would love to see the imperial jap army included.

After some digging in the scripts folder in misc.vpk I found some theaters that can add teams/weapons/models/classes into the game.

I didn't test if I can override those with the "mp_theater_override" command to run only on the map, but I made a logo on paint, a entry on "resource/doi_english.txt" to display "Imperial Japanese Army" and a theater script with the team "japanese" with the paths for both the logo and the text.

This is the result I got:

RNWxLuQ.jpg

I'm not sure where that commonwealth logo came from, but I'm just testing this out.. Oh and uh, for some reason, the bots that spawned on the Japanese team had no weapons:

ggARI3H.jpg

Edited by NickMBR

Alright ! Got the logo and name working just with the theater script and the "mp_theater_override" command, made a decent logo with alpha, but sadly I can't include a team on the theater that doesn't exists on the game's source code, I can only override an existing team.

The new logo for Japan:

oqdF5rc.png

and the Team/Squad selection menu:

y70gT6n.jpg

That works imo, what do you think ?

Fellows,

Just to let you know, I won't be able to participate on this contest anymore, due to not having the time I was hoping for on October. I think I'll use some of the assets I've already set-up for this project onto another one, but sadly I can't finish this map in time. 

The maps being done are really good ! Good luck for all entrants and keep up the awesome work !

Sign in to follow this