Sign in to follow this  
Squad

Foy

I don't mind the haystacks. I think they give the level a nice touch. However, I do mind the ground textures. So many noticeable repetitive patterns. 

DAT tree shadow :whaaa:

Oh, I guess the haystacks are those big round things… they might be as of reference but personally I couldn't tell what they were straight away. Maybe even of is not geographically accurate you can use a different kind of stack, something more common and smaller.

For eg this is what they use in Slovenia to dry the hay

82469275.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=C346AA

Bohinj-13.jpg

They also use them for wood.

i think the problem with the ground is not much the texture, but the fact that Squad hasn't yet played with the alpha, also the ground is quite flat and there are not many features capturing the attention.

I say keep it up!

Edited by blackdog

One way to improve the ground would be to use higher resolution textures, like 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 - that might go overboard, though you could cover a lot of surface with that.

It's hard to find decent references for them, but here are a few from Band of Brothers that are accurate to how they actually looked.

speirs3.jpg

slide-07-1280.jpg

The terrain overall is still pretty untouched. I guess it will be one of the last things I'll address since it's less important than finishing all the buildings.

16 minutes ago, Radu said:

One way to improve the ground would be to use higher resolution textures, like 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 - that might go overboard, though you could cover a lot of surface with that.

4096*4096 would be overkill, as it is equal to 16 1024*1024 textires :D I might consider 2048*2048 later on, but I'm pretty sure it should work out fine eventually when I break up the patterns by painting the alpha and adding geometry,  props, decals etc.

On 1-11-2016 at 9:20 PM, El Moroes said:

We had that kind of models in our old "baguet mappack".
It was made by Ukulele and you can find the model on his own website (with other useful models too). You could ask him too.

haystacks.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot about that website. Thanks for reminding me :) I'll check it out.

Sign in to follow this