Sprony

Day of Infamy Mapping Contest Discussion

Hello everyone! 

I suffer from some problems which I cannot solve no matter how I try. 

How do I solve this?

* Purple textures

* Cubemap or reflection in windows

20161115192754_1.jpg

Options.png

Options2.png

Options3.png

Make sure you have placed at least one cubemap in your level. Load up your map, open the console in-game and type:  "mat_specular 0", then "buildcubemaps" and finally "mat_specular 1"

Edited by Radu

10 minutes ago, Radu said:

Make sure you have placed at least one cubemap in your level. Load up your map, open the console in-game and type:  "mat_specular 0", then "buildcubemaps" and finally "mat_specular 1"

It worked amazingly!

Thank you very much!

21 hours ago, GRiNET said:

* Purple textures

20161115192754_1.jpg

If that is a stock weapon skin, verifying integrity of game cache should fix it.  Right click onto DoI in Steam library, go to the "Local files" tab and click "verify integrity of game cache ...".

42 minutes ago, zastels said:

The map crashes to desktop. I don't know why, I've compiled it about 100 times trying to figure it out. No errors in the compile log. I never changed anything about my map from when it was working other than details. 

http://pastebin.com/8w3gHZu6

If you're not getting any errors the only solution is to narrow down what kind of details are causing the crash. Unless you haven't tried that already. If you have power 4 displacements I would start with those. http://www.tophattwaffle.com/faq/#FAQ2

Edited by Radu

My map crashes occasionally when running locally too, but after significant digging I'm pretty sure it's due to bot errors and not the map itself. Are you running it with bots?

13 minutes ago, zastels said:

I opens the map, I see team select but it crashes before you can select anything. Bot quota us at 0

I've turned everything off I can in filters. . I guess cordon compiling sections is the only way sigh. Waste of a day. 

Do you have a .txt file with the added gamemodes for the map? I had some issues with crashing/not being able to join a team/weird spawning. I'm not exactly sure how I fixed it eventually, but it seemed to be related to inaccuracies in the .txt file and/or the spawn/objective entities in the vmf.

Have you tried compiling without the objective visgroup enabled and no .txt file?

On 16/11/2016 at 10:00 PM, zastels said:

These modulators work and appear inside hammer editor. . but they crash the game. 

Have you tried editing out just the $blendmasktransform? It's not a requirement for blend textures and in most cases can probably be left out altogether. Alternatively, try another blend texture, or post the whole vmt in case there's another problem.

My issue of ENGINE HUNK OVERFLOW! has returned again. Light maps are not the issue this time, due to massive improvements of lightmaps overall. Days and days of tests have resulted in the error coming from one building as when i delete it or make it a func_detail fully the maps runs. I tried to discover which section of the building over more days of tests, however no one section is the cause.

:???: Question: How do i find more errors than just Alt P and Logs

:???: Question: Any ideas what it might be? This is an essential building in my level, i can't func_detail the whole thing due to optimization and possible other issues similar.

Side note: i thought it was a brush clipping through some windows, however its not one area after days of testing/fast compiles.

Any help is appreciated asap if possible - Dar

Edited by Daruth505

This is definitely not the best suggestion, but have you tried deleting the building and completely remaking it from scratch? If you've tried narrowing it down to a section and still haven't found anything then it's just odd.

Edited by Radu

@Daruth505 Do you happen to have a large number of light entities inside that building or in general? Try getting rid of some. Maybe you've just reached the brush limit?

Edited by Radu

Ye at some points i removed lighting, but the moment i delete or func_detail the building it fixes the hunk overflow error.

Unsure if anyone's had similar errors such as this one that might have an easier fix, But as you suggested @Radu i might just need a re-do on that one detailed building.

I'm very sure its a brush error in some very odd form... 

Coincidentally, this error returned for me yesterday as well. I fixed it (for now) by increasing lightmaps quite aggressively. It's starting to show in a drop of lighting/shadow quality though in some areas, so I'll be looking for better ways to fix it.

I read somewhere that it could be caused by having too many displacements. Not sure if that's true.

Anyway, a temporary fix to be able to check out your map yourself is typing "r_hunkalloclightmaps 0" in console before loading your map.