RealaxFourX

(CS:GO) How to make correctly an arch in hammer with different height at the start and the end?

Hello.

I can't find any tutorials with the thing I need to do here. So I want to ask Is there a way to make a proper arch while it's on different height? I made an arch, lined it up with the grid, extended and I have used vertex tool to move the end of it a bit higher. I ended up with a nice looking arch, but having distortions. Any better way to do it in hammer?

8d963c4e2c2e4b649d920c1d154c7e35.png

Edited by RealaxFourX

I guess you could make it longer and then rotate the whole thing to fit the angle and then carve the ends?

Do not rotate or carve! Assuming this is our front view, what you wanna do is either make every line horizontal, and then move one of the ends up or down using the vertex manipulation tool, like so.

Now if you were to do this on an angle from the top view, you'd probably have to use an instance, but I don't think its the case.

archramp.png

Edited by UNREA1

I just tested my carving method and it seems to work fine (any good reason not to do this?). I think either technique can depend on how you prefer your topology with regards to uv mapping.

Just now, text_fish said:

Carving doesn't keep verts on the grid, resulting in messy brushwork at best, leaks and poor optimization at worst. There's never any excuse for carving.

^This. You wanna avoid using carving at all cost. Plus the method I presented results in a much cleaner view which can help if your map becomes very crowded to work in hammer.

36 minutes ago, text_fish said:

Carving doesn't keep verts on the grid, resulting in messy brushwork at best, leaks and poor optimization at worst. There's never any excuse for carving.

Fair point, but i think it can be worth it for the uv topology (lets say you want a ring of stones following the opening of the arcway) I guess he can add a "straight" arc on each end to achieve this :)

Edited by spa
clarification

On 9/18/2016 at 4:50 PM, UNREA1 said:

Do not rotate or carve! Assuming this is our front view, what you wanna do is either make every line horizontal, and then move one of the ends up or down using the vertex manipulation tool, like so.

Now if you were to do this on an angle from the top view, you'd probably have to use an instance, but I don't think its the case.

archramp.png

Thanks for your helpful tip. Now everything works like a charm. :)

20160919185752_1.jpg