catfood

[CSGO] de_ruby

@Vaya I rewrote it like 3 times to sound the most objective. I made no insults and provided my point of view as well as giving credit to the art pass. I guess I suck at giving feedback, but I speak for a dozens of my friends from silver to low level competitors who have given me similar opinions about it and it's colossal scale and rotates. Of course you can argue about community feedback and only listen to direct playtesters... as an ld the map is yours, you make it what you want. I never want to come off as rude, and I would like to see this map in a competitive state eventually (as I mentioned in my post).

Edited by Interfearance

5 minutes ago, Vaya said:

calling the mapper ignorant isn't insulting? ok

I said "due to ignorance of [optimization]". I am not attacking his character or livelihood and I am simply stating that little attention has been paid to optimization. Saying "he ignored optimization would work to the same effect" but probably incite some riot.

I really do believe that the map could have been optimized better; I have a 1050ti and a devil's canyon Pentium (older). On my settings I average 70 to 80 fps on all the official maps, and 90 to 100 on less demanding maps like mirage. On Ruby I experienced frequent dips to the 40s and a max of 60-65. I do not seriously believe that 30 fps disappeared out of thin air.

Regardless of the validity of my statement I am not calling him an ignorant mapper. That would imply that he ignored every aspect of the mapmaking process. I specified what seemed to be ignored and did not in anyway attack him. I am not going to say "you should optimize the map". I am simply stating my observations and leaving the table open. Better kill me!

maybe come back once you've tried optimizing a finished map like this yourself. There is no need to get rude here, optimising in source is very difficult at times- Catfood knows what he's doing here! Tell him WHERE you have issues and he could potentially fix.

Edited by Vaya

Holy shit dude

The mapper is solely responsible for their maps optimization. 

yes. This is also a creative community so if you think you can offer feedback  that will improve a project you should do so. Do it as feedback though not a 'man this guy doesn't know what he's doing at all!' type deal. Giving locations of issues is enough. (what way you are looking et al)

The layout is not particularly open and I think there is just too much content in the map.

That is a subjective opinion really. Again just give locations. Up to the mapper what they do from there. vertices are quite cheap in source, drawcalls are not.

Also, is optimization no longer problem if it is hard to do? 

where did I say that optimisation should be ignored? I said step down with the rude subjectiveness and give some actual details.

You are making a non-arguement intended to attack me that has nothing to do with the map

Trying to stop you making a total arse out of yourself. Failing.

Why are we misquoting eachother. I NEVER said he didn't know what he was doing. You said I should try optimizing his map, making it seem like you are forgiving poor optimization choices  due to the difficulties of source optimization. I was just giving feedback and if you wanna be an sjw about it leave the job to the mapper. I'm sure he's not mortally wounded by me saying he could have paid more attention to optimization.

Also everyone probably thinks I'm a jaded asshole like Vaya says. Next time I will try to be less... rough. I feel as if I was in my bounds. I have left raving reviews in the past and recently (for breach). Why would I attack someone for fun?

Edited by Interfearance

I didn't say you should optimise his map. I said you should try finishing a map of this quality. See the optimisation stage for yourself.

@Vaya I did not know that hr textures don't have a performance hit. Other than that, I know about skips, hints, visleaves, func_details, and most important optimization aspects. I have read articles about the effect of props on frame rate. I also understand what grinding tasks in mapmaking feel like. I have created over 40 grayboxes and I have not been satisfied with any of them for many reasons. I think I'm nearing 1000 sdk hours combined. 

I understand any greivances about some online dude criticizing a work of this caliber. I also understand that I might have been too rough in select previous cases, creating more frustration when I post feedback. I haven't posted a fraction of my "work" so I am basically an idiot who wastes his time on mapcore to people who don't know me. I guess I brushed several people the wrong time along the way. I don't want to victimize myself further, I don't feel bad for myself. Let's go our own ways and resolve this.

35 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

I understand any greivances about some online dude criticizing a work of this caliber. I also understand that I might have been too rough in select previous cases, creating more frustration when I post feedback. I haven't posted a fraction of my "work" so I am basically an idiot who wastes his time on mapcore to people who don't know me. I guess I brushed several people the wrong time along the way. I don't want to victimize myself further, I don't feel bad for myself. Let's go our own ways and resolve this.

No one is perfect, but we all learn and improve every day guys ❤️