catfood

[CSGO] de_ruby

Just had a quick run-through and I have to say the artwork and detail in this is incredibly stunning. This is by far your best work to date and I am simply blown away by how much effort and time went into this. The murals and road patches/blending/detail are definitely my favorite smaller details. 

Absolutely fantastic job man you deserve all the praise for this

Edited by VIOLATION

Absolutely incredible! You are amazing at creating these city maps, catfood. I can keep running around the map for hours and I will always find new things. Amazing attention to detail. I've been following the development of this map since the first public greybox throughout all it's iterations and It's absolutely amazing how far it has come.

19 hours ago, FMPONE said:

I think this is your strongest work yet. The sparkling ocean effect (sprite?) is really fun. In the past you’ve maybe not had the most realistic style, but you truly made it work here without losing any of your charm. Interested to play it soon!

@FMPONEThanks! and the sparkling effect is not a sprite but are small func_dustmotes with a short life time :)

16 hours ago, T-Rexer said:

I wanna have that cake :D

20180419174852_1.jpg

well deserved :D enjoy looking at your cake piece!

5ad9a9f0e19ce_CAKEPIECE.jpg.87c31aed0ac90c119aac787a79ed336f.jpg

12 hours ago, El_Exodus said:

I think ruby is the first map i had a walk around while shift-walking the entire time. That soundscape man - awesome shit. Your sound recordings definitely payed off! Incredible what feeling that adds to the map.

Thanks Exodus! and nice to hear you like the soundscapes but that's the work of Hunsrus: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Hunsrus 
He joined me on trip to Lisbon and was the audio guy for this level as well as my previous levels :)

23 hours ago, catfood said:

Hello!
Some of you already know but after ~1.5 years in development lots of playtesting and iterations I finally released Ruby on the workshop!

The trip to Lisbon I took at the beginning of development to shoot reference and record audio resulted in the map having:
~100 custom models
~60 custom materials
~100 custom sounds
All based on the Portuguese city.

The size and timings of the map are comparable to maps currently in active duty and the layout with clear land marks and a few unique areas should be easy to learn for every player of every skill level. 
There's also a small MapCore easteregg and the first person to find it gets a picture of a piece of cake!

Once again I want to thank everyone here at MapCore who participated in playtesting or gave feedback during the development. 
And please let me know what you guys think of the end result!

WORKSHOP LINK  

2.jpg.72edd66ba2c9c30d204bba76a24c5c55.jpg3.jpg.54d76e7d130cc03a676c059aa587b352.jpgAsite_before_after.jpg.b80d31ee079452a5e973c79b08838e84.jpgMid_before_after.jpg.6829022892d4c13da7aadb1c80e33f33.jpg

After jumping into the map, I have to say it's one of the best I've seen ever; together with Subzero, Biome and Grind, which are some of my personal favorites. This is really unique, and even the 1st version that i playtested with some friends were one of my favorites. I also like how you kept it similar in terms of layout, but simplified it to the point where it could be a good, competitive map. Keep up the good work, and hopefully I'll be able to playtest it soon.

Its nearly 2 years since my greybox feedback at page one. Time flies!

This map seems to be one pinnacle of counterstrike mapping.
The artwork is really impressive. Every added detail fits to the scene. It's fun to wander around.

There are 2 things which i dont like;  both are sadly seen on most maps:
- you can't jump to some places which look like you could go there
- you can't slide along walls without getting stuck permanently

Nevertheless this map has to be in the next operation and it will be.
Thanks catfood for this map!

Edited by baem123

Now, after having played a competitive game on the map, It is still really good, just a bit T-sided. The first thing I noticed is that the rotation time is a bit too long, which it doesn't look like it will be, but once you play it competitively, you'll understand. 

The other thing is the middle. I like the middle, but it is heavily T-sided, and way too easy to take control of. It might just be that my team didn't coordinate good enough, and maybe you should play one guy top mid and one guy short, and then it'll be less T-sided. I think the bomb sites are good though and a lot of fun. The retaking potential is good, and we had a lot of fun gun-fights on them. I will probably be playtesting more in the future, and maybe it'll give me more of a vision on how the map plays. But for now, this is my feedback!

9 hours ago, baem123 said:

You talking about surfing or some clipping being missing?

I can’t still come to terms with Mirage missing a clip brush at bottom of the short connector, got killed/lost many kill opportunities because of it.

I talked about clipping. Mirage is a joke ofc, same at the entry to A.

I still think that maps should avoid clipping around corners and big clipping gaps in general.
It might look better in some eyes if corners stick out 2 pixels, but its frustrating if you actually want to play the game.
If you add clippings to these things it doesnt help much either, because the player cant see these clippings.
He doesnt know where he will get stuck, unless he played the map many many times.

On 2018/4/21 at 7:32 AM, flickaa said:

Now, after having played a competitive game on the map, It is still really good, just a bit T-sided. The first thing I noticed is that the rotation time is a bit too long, which it doesn't look like it will be, but once you play it competitively, you'll understand. 

The other thing is the middle. I like the middle, but it is heavily T-sided, and way too easy to take control of. It might just be that my team didn't coordinate good enough, and maybe you should play one guy top mid and one guy short, and then it'll be less T-sided. I think the bomb sites are good though and a lot of fun. The retaking potential is good, and we had a lot of fun gun-fights on them. I will probably be playtesting more in the future, and maybe it'll give me more of a vision on how the map plays. But for now, this is my feedback!

Agree. The rotation is too long. T have various ways to control mid while CT don't have much choice. What's more, the B main entrance (or B long) has the same issue with mid for CT, where T has different easy angles and cover to peek out. CT need more love !

On 23.4.2018 at 3:00 AM, wizdom said:

Agree. The rotation is too long. T have various ways to control mid while CT don't have much choice. What's more, the B main entrance (or B long) has the same issue with mid for CT, where T has different easy angles and cover to peek out. CT need more love !

After taking time on the rotations on various maps, I found out that: 

Ruby - it's 18s through CT, and 16.5 through mid

On maps like Dust 2, mirage, cache and inferno - between 12-14s

That's a good amount of seconds less. It is probably hard to change it and not screw up timings, but I think it is very critical for the map to have good rotation times.

On 24-4-2018 at 12:33 PM, flickaa said:

After taking time on the rotations on various maps, I found out that: 

Ruby - it's 18s through CT, and 16.5 through mid

On maps like Dust 2, mirage, cache and inferno - between 12-14s

That's a good amount of seconds less. It is probably hard to change it and not screw up timings, but I think it is very critical for the map to have good rotation times.

Here we go again, map size is fine and so is the rotation time. The map has been thoroughly tested from beginning to end of development and if the rotation was really too long the bomb wouldn't be defused this many times.
Also keep in mind that when the ts are committing to a bombsite they can be seen from quite a distance so the moment cts on site die and call the bombplant terrorists are still on the move for few seconds before actually planting.

If you want watch a game on ruby and see how both teams move and communicate this tells much more then just comparing timings and this one time that you played on the map.

This is a viewers game TrilluXe hosted that is fun to watch: LINK

Game starts around 03:08:35

On 21-4-2018 at 12:30 AM, baem123 said:

Its nearly 2 years since my greybox feedback at page one. Time flies!

This map seems to be one pinnacle of counterstrike mapping.
The artwork is really impressive. Every added detail fits to the scene. It's fun to wander around.

There are 2 things which i dont like;  both are sadly seen on most maps:
- you can't jump to some places which look like you could go there

Nevertheless this map has to be in the next operation and it will be.
Thanks catfood for this map!

Thank you for the kind words and could you maybe point out this wall(s) where you can't slide along?