Sign in to follow this  
Sprony

Nintendo Switch

Mario looks fun, can't wait to play around with it. Mario games are usually some of the most polished experiences ever. Galaxy 1 and 2 are still the pinacle of game design to me. 

That said, the world this time around is really weird. Adding realistically proportional human beings into the mix makes the player question shit you shouldn't want people to be questioning, Sega made that same mistake with Sonic when they threw him in with humans, i just find it weird and it's better when the universe can stand on its own, that's why I actually prefer the look of Mario Rabbids over this. 

New York looks really grey and weird, they didn't stylize it enough for me, in comparison the Mexico level looks absolutely awesome and more akin to what Mario is. Same for the woods level, looks strangely photo realistic. 

I'm sure all these concerns will fade once you imersive yourself with the gameplay, but yeah... 

I got one for Christmas 😍 I’ve only played with Rayman Legends — which seems like an absolutely superb 2D platformer. The art is so wonderful.

I’ve also got Mario Odyssey which I can’t wait to tuck into tonight, and Zelda which I did have on the Wii U but never completed so really looking forward to doing it handheld-style.

So far I’m really impressed with the slick package on offer here. The Wii U was a bit ropey in terms of hardware design, UI, etc whereas this just feels modern and great. It reminds me of when Nintendo surprised everyone with the super sharp Nintendo DS Lite.

Part of me says I shouldn’t go buy games I’ve had before like Mario Kart 8 and Skyrim... yet I want to!

6 hours ago, Thrik said:

I got one for Christmas 😍 I’ve only played with Rayman Legends — which seems like an absolutely superb 2D platformer. The art is so wonderful.

I’ve also got Mario Odyssey which I can’t wait to tuck into tonight, and Zelda which I did have on the Wii U but never completed so really looking forward to doing it handheld-style.

So far I’m really impressed with the slick package on offer here. The Wii U was a bit ropey in terms of hardware design, UI, etc whereas this just feels modern and great. It reminds me of when Nintendo surprised everyone with the super sharp Nintendo DS Lite.

Part of me says I shouldn’t go buy games I’ve had before like Mario Kart 8 and Skyrim... yet I want to!

I feel like it’s going to take me awhile to get through Mario and then there is Zelda too.

This console has felt like an awesome one, such a breathe of fresh air to experience.

Finally playing Zelda. Really strong core gameplay loops.

The controls are really overwhelming and a bit confusing, but I think I’m finally getting the hang of them. So much fun and freedom. I used all my apples climbing up a mountain, only to be really rewarded for it! Feels great, such a cool experience.

So far Switch is exceeding my expectations.  I am not a Zelda fan but BoTW is great but I'm getting distracted by Super Mario Odyssey which is now my favorite Switch game.  Other small things:

- It works great as a portable though it does not fit into my pocket.  It's a great rode trip/travel console.  On an airplane it is the shit.  Sorry, PS VIta, you could have been so awesome but it just didn't work out that way.

- I got a free copy Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2...never would have bought it but damn it was way funnier than I expected.  Not entirely the same LEGO formula.

- pro controller is the way to go...not entirely required to enjoy the console but it definitely is a plus.

Love the Switch! Over the last year I've probably spent 90% of all my gaming time on the Switch, and primarily in handheld mode. Apart from the usual world class first party games then I've been catching up with a lot of indie games that I never got around to playing on other platforms. Only problem is that it's made me so lazy that I can't be bothered to sit up and play PC/Console games anymore :D

I got Zelda BOTW for my birthday last week and it's a great game. like FMP I found the controls a little awkward at first but I got used to the quickly. I love the survival aspects in the game and it makes me want to try and cook to create heat resistant food and such. Normally I don't care about crafting or cooking in games so well done Nintendo on that! Love exploring the world and finding interesting ways to defeat monsters. Not a huge fan of the breakable weapons but I've never been short of stuff to use so it's no big deal.

I think Mario is the better game of the two but Zelda is still awesome. 

The Switch is great though, can't wait to go on holiday next and not be bored on the plane! :D

I just finished BOTW (main quest => killed ganon) yesterday. Really liked the game. Ive played Mario right before that. Both awesome games - like you guys said. What I couldnt get used to until the very end where the different buttons for jumping, always pressed the wrong one xD

Other than that, awesome games and awesome console, going to try the DBZ game today :D

Hearing you guys say Mario is the better game is reassuring. Yes, Zelda is very good, maybe even a masterpiece, but Mario Odyssey really staggered me in a way that few games ever have. (Mario 64 is still better, however, but that's another topic... and the designers on Mario Odyssey seem to know it and virtually admit it too, by mining that sweet, sweet nostalgia...)

Like, on paper I can certainly see the argument that Zelda is the better game and maybe even one of the best games ever. However I just like Mario a lot more. There's a good deal more affection there and the core gameplay loop is a fair bit more satisfying/less frustrating. Zelda is fucking difficult, it doesn't feel like they balanced well for difficulty at all, but then again that is part of the charm and affection, it's a challenging adventure.

Speaking of Zelda, I love the way it goes into almost 1980's Zelda vibes. There is a deliberate lumbering clunkiness in the way Link walks that is hilariously reminiscent of his sprite movements in the old NES games. It really feels like one of the NES games brought to life, the art style is Eastern and Western at the same time, and the difficulty curve is certainly there. There is that sense of grass growing out of the stone where the sword is placed, just some magic there on the art direction that really feels old school in some way.

I noticed the 1980's nostalgia in levels like New Donk City as well, whereas Mario used to be this very heavy-handed Italian parody, and New Donk City has dudes in Zoot Suits and the whole 1920s nostalgia that both borrow from. It seems like Nintendo understands their own games' aesthetics very very well, on a deep level that is second nature and also carefully thought out. When they apply shaders to their surfaces, they seem to really bring out that magic and life that is so wonderful in Nintendo games, the shader-magic on the Switch seems to be very, very real and heavily researched for stylistic effect.

Anyway you split it, two outstanding games.

3 hours ago, Mazy said:

Love the Switch! Over the last year I've probably spent 90% of all my gaming time on the Switch, and primarily in handheld mode. Apart from the usual world class first party games then I've been catching up with a lot of indie games that I never got around to playing on other platforms. Only problem is that it's made me so lazy that I can't be bothered to sit up and play PC/Console games anymore :D

Can totally relate to this. If I was a pure gamer and not making anything, I doubt I'd play much PC for a while until I had finished my Nintendo first-party titles. Donkey Kong looks like another straight fucking banger, too. This is about as good as gaming can get, and everyone in the industry has got to pay respects and attention to this madness. Best console launch since the Nintendo 64 IMO. Imagine a new Smash Brothers on top of all this, good God...

Got to say, Nintendo + Netflix completely own my living room space right now, and it will be a tall order for anyone else in the biz to replace them.