Sign in to follow this  
Sprony

Nintendo Switch

On 3/14/2017 at 5:20 PM, (HP) said:

This game is one of the purest "video games" I've ever played. I'm sure we're gonna be talking about this game for decades.

I usually stay away from trailers and spoilers so It took me a couple hours to realize what kind of game I was playing, when I died of hypothermia dozens of times on the snowy mountains, i thought there has to be a easier way. Turns out there's many ways to survive, clothes, eating peppers, lighting a torch or fire, lighting a wooden meele weapon on fire, sitting next to a campfire, etc, rtc. That's when it clicked for me, it was like, shit I see... the game wants me to think! :0

This is exactly what I feel is missing from many modern games. Thinking and being able to formulate a plan, then actually attempting the plan and dealing with the consequences.

Ah its not that bad overall, some areas have/had more drops than others.

Never really bothered me tbh, a bit annoying if it happens when using bows and stuff but usually it dropped when exploring and it didnt ruin much.

Yeah I'm forgiving about these things so long as the game is good. Dark Souls has shit for frames in many areas, but I still love that game to death.

Still though, this was one of very few things they could improve upon, so it's awesome that they did.

It's really nice with the update, but from my experience then the frame rate hasn't been that bad, granted I've played 90% of the time in handheld mode which generally performs better.

The only place that's consistently has shitty performance is the area around the Deku tree (1:40 in the video), but I think the performance of BoTW is something that looks worse on videos than it is when you're actually playing the game.

Either way then I'm also less inclined to whine about it when I'm sitting outside and playing something like Zelda :D

Eh, I don't know, I feel that most of what he's saying can be applied to any non-linear game. They all turn in to grinds if you want them to, and that's the thing, isn't it? I find that they all get tedious at some point, but that's only if you let them. 

He brought up that shrines use the same tileset, I had not even considered that anyone would find that boring. When I get to a shrine I'm looking forward to solving a new puzzle, preferably in a way the developer had not intended, and potentially finding a unique armor piece, that's exciting enough for me. I don't plan on going out of my way to find korok seeds or farm dragons either, I see that as bonus fluff for those that have the time to spare.

I agree that it's not the best game ever. That's Dark Souls 1. But it's best in class when it comes to open world sandboxes. He considers Witcher 3 to be the best, but that game had such fundamental flaws in combat and inventory management that it got unbearable for me to even finish, despite the great writing.

Edit: forgot to add that his critique of no new tools unlocking is flawed in its entirety, as that would go against the whole non linear design approach. Gating X content behind new tools that require you to first visit Y dungeon makes for a bad and frustrating experience. The key here is that you can solve problems in multiple ways, so I think giving the player all the tools necessary at the start is GREAT.

Edited by grapen