Nintendo Switch

Sprony

So, wait.. this is the next Nintendo DS. I thought everyone was expecting the next Wii.

Also, more about the chip in here, everyone's pissed that Nintendo is compromising power for portability. I for one have faith in them, I've loved every single Nintendo console I've bought so far.

Nintendo hater, so I don't really care what they do :v

1 hour ago, Bastion said:

Does not look appealing to me, it is essentially just the WiiU controller where the buttons can snap off and be lost.

I don't know why Nintendo keeps trying to have their main console compete with the portable market when they already have devices active there.

Actually the only mobile consoles that really still have market, where everything is now on tablets and smartphones.

But I think that's the market move, has been said for long that soon mobiles would catch up on console quality graphics... and they actually output fullHD content easily so that happened. Not having standard controllers is preventing people using them as consoles.

Seems like they want to cross this bridge first.

Edited by blackdog

43 minutes ago, (HP) said:

Also, more about the chip in here, everyone's pissed that Nintendo is compromising power for portability. I for one have faith in them, I've loved every single Nintendo console I've bought so far.

And keep in mind that Nintendo just opened up their developer program to everyone.  This might put them into a perfect position for indie developers, where Sony has tended to dominate for PS4/Vita crossbuy.  The only news that could put them in an even better spot is if the final console also works as a devkit.

I'm curious how large it will be, though.  If they keep it at ~6 inches, would that impact performance negatively?

As a nerd for game capture/streaming stuff, thank god nintendo is making it able to connect to a TV.  No more custom consoles for capture!

The updates to their flagship franchises are usually really good. They also created great new titles like Splatoon and gave Platinum all the money they needed for Bayonetta 2. Haters.

People buy Nintendo hardware for their first party games so the pissing contest with other console specs almost seems pointless. Doesn't really matter if gritty sepia man shooter 12 will run worse on it because it's going to be used for rendering a cell-shaded Mario onto a minimalist landscape, or Pokemon games that are still using gigantic blocky tiles after 20 years.

A lot of the time when I'm playing my WiiU I don't bother turning the TV on and I spend ample time on my DS. It seems like a good move to combine the too.

People are putting some pretty good graphics on mobile. The problem I find is people also want to use their smartphones for other things and these games kill your battery in about 30 minutes. It also seems like the market is shifting more and more casual, so I'm not sure controllers are really going to change anything.

Edited by Taylor
Entering a Mario? What a freudian slit

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

People buy Nintendo hardware for their first party games so the pissing contest with other console specs almost seems pointless. Doesn't really matter if gritty sepia man shooter 12 will run worse on it because it's going to be used for rendering a cell-shaded Mario onto a minimalist landscape, or Pokemon games that are still using gigantic blocky tiles after 20 years.

By Nintendo's latest count, it had sold 12.8 million Wii U systems after almost four years on the market.

I have a WiiU and there's a lot of good first party games. Having no Third party hurt them though.

43 minutes ago, tr0nic said:

By Nintendo's latest count, it had sold 12.8 million Wii U systems after almost four years on the market.

I have a WiiU and there's a lot of good first party games. Having no Third party hurt them though.

And after 5 years, the 3ds sold 58.85 milllion, which is the market the NX is for.  That's also more than all of Nintendo's home consoles other than the NES and Wii.  It's also worth noting that the Wii U fits the trend set through Nintendo's home consoles.

Nintendo's console sales have always been (usually casual) hit driven.  The Gameboy had Tetris, the DS had Brain Age, the Wii had Wii Sports. 

Edited by DrywallDreams

I imagine the under performance of the WiiU and success of the DS is why they're combining the two. I also had a lot of fun with my WiiU. Still not convinced them trying to reel in third party is a good idea given their audience (and how much power they'd need to stick into a handheld). Maybe if they focused on remote play instead, but I think we're a decade too early on all that.

On 7/26/2016 at 7:58 PM, Pampers said:

prepare for the same set of titles once again

And yet there's more innovation and joy to be found between two Mario or Zelda games than in 10 Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed games. If you don't have any love for Nintendo's first-party IP then it's probably a bit like repeatedly going to Disneyland and not liking Disney movies — but no matter which way you look at it they do amazing things with gameplay concepts. Unique and wonderful experiences are what keep Nintendo afloat despite (in my opinion quite disappointing) hardware specifications.

On 28-7-2016 at 11:07 AM, Thrik said:

And yet there's more innovation and joy to be found between two Mario or Zelda games than in 10 Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed games. If you don't have any love for Nintendo's first-party IP then it's probably a bit like repeatedly going to Disneyland and not liking Disney movies — but no matter which way you look at it they do amazing things with gameplay concepts. Unique and wonderful experiences are what keep Nintendo afloat despite (in my opinion quite disappointing) hardware specifications.

You know, I'm jealous. I'm not kidding either. Your remark is on point. They do great things and they keep innovating. Sadly, it just doesn't appeal to me anymore and it hasn't for a long time. By the time the GameCube came out I was just done. I really tried to enjoy the new Mario and Zelda but it didn't click anymore, like I outgrew them. That's not a reference to them being 'kiddy' games. The same happened to Halo, Gears, Cod, etc. At a certain point, I just lose my interest completely regardless of innovation. So yeah, I envy you. I hope that when my daughter is a bit older and I buy her a NX or whatever, I can rekindle that old Nintendo love. I truly do!

I suspect that having children or someone else to enjoy them might re-ignite that Nintendo magic. I went for ages without really watching any Disney/Pixar films, but when I was involved with someone we for some reason ended up watching loads of them because we rediscovered the joy of watching such great films with someone else. Same goes for James Bond — I had little interest in watching all the old ones again until the prospect of experiencing them with someone else came along. And then when I think to my fondest memories of playing games, watching films, etc they often involve someone else being there. I guess we're truly social creatures.

Of course, the difference with Nintendo is that its experiences are interactive. I hadn't touched my Wii U for ages, but recently I was playing Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros with someone else and it's absolutely excellent, completely reminded me why I love Nintendo. The great thing about them is that with most titles they bundle in really, really good multiplayer that isn't just an afterthought or separate entity, but instead feels like an extension of the core experience. You can be happily playing Super Mario 3D World by yourself, then boom someone can press 'A' when the next level begins and they're right in there with you creating all kinds of zany complications.

Basically, get Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, and Mario Bros/World on the go when your daughter is old enough and have an excellent time. :cool: 

• 2 months later...