MaanMan

EU Referendum

Yeah, last night was rough. Today is turning out rougher. But hey, that's democracy for you; the worst form of government, apart from all the other's we've tried. 

The movie is Children of Men if i am not mistaken. Excellent movie.

And the EU couldn't be nice to a country threatening to leave? When that country is the EU's second largest economy and an island nation that's always been quite euro sceptic it might be time to play nice and not push the swing voters over to the leave side. Now because of such arrogance the UK people voted to leave and we will all pay the price for it. Short term at least it will not be good for anyone and I wonder what will come of the other larger EU nations' calls for a referendum.

Long term though I can see it being good for the UK, but disastrous for the EU since now they only have two economically strong nations and so many weak ones that need to be supported.

Thanks I'll check out that movie :)

Well we weren't nice because the UK has always been a pain in the ass with their power plays.

On the long term it probably will be worse for the UK than the EU. We still have the youth heard to remain in the EU so that we can build the next Europe, and do wonderful things. Dream is still alive, and in those times we need that more than anything.

And I know for a fact that France will become a new economic power again, or I'll die trying to recover that status :)

28 minutes ago, Skybex said:

The movie is Children of Men if i am not mistaken. Excellent movie.

And the EU couldn't be nice to a country threatening to leave? When that country is the EU's second largest economy and an island nation that's always been quite euro sceptic it might be time to play nice and not push the swing voters over to the leave side. Now because of such arrogance the UK people voted to leave and we will all pay the price for it. Short term at least it will not be good for anyone and I wonder what will come of the other larger EU nations' calls for a referendum.

Long term though I can see it being good for the UK, but disastrous for the EU since now they only have two economically strong nations and so many weak ones that need to be supported.

@laminutederire, Skybex is right, the movie is Children of Men.

In regards to the comments above. I'm not pro EU at all, I'm pro global unity. Having said that, the UK always wanted to control EU. It was a power play more than anything else. They weren't in it for the team, they were in it to be the alpha dog. But guess what, those golden years of British imperialism are long gone. They bluffed and the EU called it. You can't honestly expect to negotiate a deal by starting 'If we don't get our way, we'll leave'. What's this? A girl's sweet sixteen party? So if you are going to use the word arrogance, please direct it towards the right people :)

2 minutes ago, Sprony said:

@laminutederire, Skybex is right, the movie is Children of Men.

In regards to the comments above. I'm not pro EU at all, I'm pro global unity. Having said that, the UK always wanted to control EU. It was a power play more than anything else. They weren't in it for the team, they were in it to be the alpha dog. But guess what, those golden years of British imperialism are long gone. They bluffed and the EU called it. You can't honestly expect to negotiate a deal by starting 'If we don't get our way, we'll leave'. What's this? A girl's sweet sixteen party? So if you are going to use the word arrogance, please direct it towards the right people :)

I may have mispoken, I meant to say UK was arrogant :)

And I do agree with your position on the British motivation in the EU.

As for thé global unity, I agree as well, but I feel like we're fundamentally bound to make that unity a reality in the EU as a proof of concept, so as to lead that movement to a larger scale. Otherwise you'll always see the US being skeptic and not playing it as they should, just like the UK.

And thanks for the reference I'll try to watch it as legally as I can :)

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

I may have mispoken, I meant to say UK was arrogant :)

And I do agree with your position on the British motivation in the EU.

As for thé global unity, I agree as well, but I feel like we're fundamentally bound to make that unity a reality in the EU as a proof of concept, so as to lead that movement to a larger scale. Otherwise you'll always see the US being skeptic and not playing it as they should, just like the UK.

And thanks for the reference I'll try to watch it as legally as I can :)

My reply was directed at Skybex and not you :)

I'm pro global unity but I don't believe it will ever happen. We are constantly labeled so that people with power can inspire fear and hatred among us. Keep us fighting with each other. Religion, race, gender, sexual preference, whatever keeps us divided. Plus, everybody know the poor are always being fucked over by the rich. Always have, always will.

No, the only way we'll ever be united as a people, is when a new treat appears that we are forced to face together in order to survive. It's only then that we can set aside our petty differences. But knowing history, probably only for the duration of that said threat.

My comment about the arrogance was directed towards Angela Merkel and the rest who were against throwing Cameron a bone so he could go back and say "I have negotiated a good deal for the UK" even if in the end it resulted in nothing. They wanted to make a show of power by playing hard ball. 

And I am of the opposite view, in that it was the EU that bluffed and the UK called it. They tried to make a show of Cameron by rejecting anything he was fighting for on the assumption that the UK wouldn't leave. The UK people voted and now both the Pound and Euro has significantly dropped, calls for a referendum in many other EU nations and thoughts of a possible weak EU are driving people to doubt the whole thing.

1 minute ago, Skybex said:

My comment about the arrogance was directed towards Angela Merkel and the rest who were against throwing Cameron a bone so he could go back and say "I have negotiated a good deal for the UK" even if in the end it resulted in nothing. They wanted to make a show of power by playing hard ball. 

And I am of the opposite view, in that it was the EU that bluffed and the UK called it. They tried to make a show of Cameron by rejecting anything he was fighting for on the assumption that the UK wouldn't leave. The UK people voted and now both the Pound and Euro has significantly dropped, calls for a referendum in many other EU nations and thoughts of a possible weak EU are driving people to doubt the whole thing.

Nothing wrong with different opinions or views :)

Let's just hope it turns out for the better for ALL of us!

Honestly, I wish we could go too. I'm sick and tired of billions going to Greece and what not, while we have so many problems of our own. Taxes are being increased at an incredible rate while we have the work longer, our pensions are cut and we can't take proper care of our old people. I have nothing against anybody and if you have more than enough, build a bigger table and not a higher fence. But seriously, the amount of money that we (and other countries) are having to pay for EU is ridiculous. I do believe in the possibilities of EU, but not like this. So I think @Steppenwolf has some valid points, like always really. You should post more Step ;)