Radix

[CS:GO] de_austria (WIP)

Just now, fewseb said:

Because they are fun? Its just Office and Agency right now.

It doesn’t make sense as the tournaments don’t play cs_ maps and the rare times I tried to play them, nobody is playing seriously. I’m not saying cs_ maps don’t deserve love, I used to play on D2+Office 24/7 servers back in the days, just they don’t seem to work as well as de_ now that my preferred mode is the 5v5.

3 minutes ago, blackdog said:

It doesn’t make sense as the tournaments don’t play cs_ maps and the rare times I tried to play them, nobody is playing seriously. I’m not saying cs_ maps don’t deserve love, I used to play on D2+Office 24/7 servers back in the days, just they don’t seem to work as well as de_ now that my preferred mode is the 5v5.

Well you take hostage maps out of comp, you can forget about seeing any new ones on the workshop, its hard enough trying to make a layout that works, its hardly worth it as it with lower play time. Having a whole 2, doesn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things, (thought ive been getting office more then dust2 or mirage lately)

At the same time, Tournaments didn't play canals, and they arnt playing the community maps either, they arnt player cobble stone, so why leave it in?

Granted the mode could be better, im not going to pretend like Agency and Office cant just be won by buying sawed off and smokes for the entire T-side, but removing them from the comp pool, removes incentive for map makers to try and improve the game mode with better layouts.

53 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Although I’m not sure the AWP argument is correct: I pretty much always play my DM with AWP or Scout (since I don’t snipe in comp) and I won several matches on Austria no problem. I think that if people are DMing to warm up, they might want to do on maps they will queue up next, to “refresh their angles” (although to me most people look like just running around like CODders).

Good argument. Probably more correct than the idea I had.

53 minutes ago, blackdog said:

btw is the voting somewhat broken? Often seems I don’t get to vote what map to play next, don’t see the “roulette” animation in case of tie votes…

Yeah, seems to be completely broken. Often the vote time is <<a second; sometimes there are no votes at all and a map with 0 votes wins...

Edited by Radix

i played office like 18 years ago to present time & Agency from whenever it came out first time around till pretty much now, but from all those times i still feel Austria both look and play superior! :) 

One part inside had very little going on but cannot put my finger on it really so i just edited the picture slightly so you can see what i mean, always felt i wanted more of that nice variation:
image.png.4c081d0aeb54c6392faabb2916c130d1.png

I know you keep it bright inside for clear visibility but that does not have to mean 100% same texture all the way around, ofc not saying red/blue walls like nuke but a TINY change like this?Dkdmfqe.jpg
Players can still stand out clear as day while simultaneously bringing some of the reoccuring textures from the outside of the map just play around with your imagination to give it more "flavour"

Edited by RadimaX

But i have a small suggestion however in one of the rooms where you got a dangly lamp clip hanging quite far down from the ceiling, yes i know its not the end of the world but just hear me out:
NtU7fwX.jpg
as a compromise for removing the light you could cut up that cailing like i drew up (badly) in photoshop just to convey my idéa, 3 windows exist above & could be opened up for Flashes etc
7jPkyaZ.jpg
Obviously the hole can be whatever size you make it, i just illustrated a small one to save some time. The insides could be expanded on to allow people jumping around more freely without hitting clips from time to time which results in more than just an illusion of extra space but actually expands it on the inside parts of the level for our enjoyment while still staying lit the same with that cozy and memorable town feeling over the industrial lamp. Considering it is not the HUGEST map i bet you can afford some extra geometry on the inside even if 1 lamp model is still more efficient haha

If 1 window or more ever open the grenades could start raining down lol...might not be very useful but just a bonus i "threw in here" :D Or alternatively just raise that Light up flush with the beam!
mM9EeXH.jpg

Edited by RadimaX

6 hours ago, RadimaX said:

One part inside had very little going on but cannot put my finger on it really so i just edited the picture slightly so you can see what i mean, always felt i wanted more of that nice variation:
I know you keep it bright inside for clear visibility but that does not have to mean 100% same texture all the way around, ofc not saying red/blue walls like nuke but a TINY change like this?Players can still stand out clear as day while simultaneously bringing some of the reoccuring textures from the outside of the map just play around with your imagination to give it more "flavour"

Yeah, I've never been happy with the whole indoor areas. I've already done something similar to your suggestion. For example the main corridor in the middle has a yellowish wallpaper texture now. Still not happy with it, but at least a little bit better...

4 hours ago, RadimaX said:

But i have a small suggestion however in one of the rooms where you got a dangly lamp clip hanging quite far down from the ceiling, yes i know its not the end of the world but just hear me out:
as a compromise for removing the light you could cut up that ceiling like i drew up (badly) in photoshop just to convey my idéa, 3 windows exist above & could be opened up for Flashes etc

Obviously the hole can be whatever size you make it, i just illustrated a small one to save some time. The insides could be expanded on to allow people jumping around more freely without hitting clips from time to time which results in more than just an illusion of extra space but actually expands it on the inside parts of the level for our enjoyment while still staying lit the same with that cozy and memorable town feeling over the industrial lamp. Considering it is not the HUGEST map i bet you can afford some extra geometry on the inside even if 1 lamp model is still more efficient haha

If 1 window or more ever open the grenades could start raining down lol...might not be very useful but just a bonus i "threw in here" :D Or alternatively just raise that Light up flush with the beam!

I like the idea of opening the windows for nades. I've already made some changes to the room you are talking about, because it turned out to be one of the most important areas of the map, but it always was way too narrow and boring.

I thought about it for a while and don't see any downsides from opening the ceiling + windows, so I will give it a try, I guess.

These edited pictures look pretty cool btw. 🙂