Sign in to follow this  
[HP]

Death Stranding - Hideo Kojima's next game

On 9/14/2016 at 3:53 AM, Alf-Life said:

I'm glad not every game is as bonkers as his, but I'm so glad Kojima exists, and so glad he says he wants to continue in the AAA space. The story was a bit half-baked but I loved the world and especially the gameplay in MGSV. I loved the Death Stranding teaser so much and I can't wait yearssssssss to play this next thing!

Same, actually most of all FOR the story elements. What other game developer, regardless of country of origin, covers topics like the poisoning of the Navajo lands (which to this day still hasn't been cleaned up btw) or South African Apartheid? 

On 15/09/2016 at 11:21 AM, Jetsetlemming said:

Same, actually most of all FOR the story elements. What other game developer, regardless of country of origin, covers topics like the poisoning of the Navajo lands (which to this day still hasn't been cleaned up btw) or South African Apartheid? 

Yeah, I think we should have more historical and informative pieces of story in games. Not all games, but some could do. Guess the big problem is presenting events in a way that doesn't force an opinion to players.

7 hours ago, blackdog said:

Yeah, I think we should have more historical and informative pieces of story in games. Not all games, but some could do. Guess the big problem is presenting events in a way that doesn't force an opinion to players.

I saw this video the other day:

And it reminded me of how political (and radically political!) the original Deus Ex was. Too bad they ruined that in every sequel by making you an agent of authority, with the bad guys portrayed as corrupting the otherwise good system. In Deus Ex, the bad guys are just part of the already garbage system, and while you start as a UNATCO agent, you go rogue when you learn about what's going on. That's what good cyberpunk is about, not just crime stories with computers in them, or existential pondering about putting computers in your body! The augmentations are an RPG system and part of the initial plot setup with the Grey Death, but not THE plot of the game!

Thinking about this, it also reminded me of Red Faction 1 and Red Faction: Guerrilla. Both have a pretty traditional story of joining a ragtag group of rebels fighting against oppression, a story that's a dime a dozen in video games because of Star Wars. However, in these games the oppressive institution is a private corporation, abusing its workers to maximize profits, away from public oversight. The rebels you're a member of are pretty explicitly collectivist (I mean, it's right there in the name "red faction"). Like with Deus Ex, sequels tried to fuck it up (why can't you let good games be good, industry!?), but I'm glad we got RF:G, at least, which got back to the proper revolutionary marxist feel of the first game. Eidos Montreal could learn a thing or two from RF:G. :P

7 hours ago, Jetsetlemming said:

I saw this video the other day:

And it reminded me of how political (and radically political!) the original Deus Ex was. Too bad they ruined that in every sequel by making you an agent of authority, with the bad guys portrayed as corrupting the otherwise good system. In Deus Ex, the bad guys are just part of the already garbage system, and while you start as a UNATCO agent, you go rogue when you learn about what's going on. That's what good cyberpunk is about, not just crime stories with computers in them, or existential pondering about putting computers in your body! The augmentations are an RPG system and part of the initial plot setup with the Grey Death, but not THE plot of the game!

Thinking about this, it also reminded me of Red Faction 1 and Red Faction: Guerrilla. Both have a pretty traditional story of joining a ragtag group of rebels fighting against oppression, a story that's a dime a dozen in video games because of Star Wars. However, in these games the oppressive institution is a private corporation, abusing its workers to maximize profits, away from public oversight. The rebels you're a member of are pretty explicitly collectivist (I mean, it's right there in the name "red faction"). Like with Deus Ex, sequels tried to fuck it up (why can't you let good games be good, industry!?), but I'm glad we got RF:G, at least, which got back to the proper revolutionary marxist feel of the first game. Eidos Montreal could learn a thing or two from RF:G. :P

This, so much this! Mankind Divided is a good game, but it's not a good Deus Ex game. After MD, I felt like replaying the original DX, and man that game is nearly perfect in every regard (With the exepction of the aged graphics of course)

PS. If you want to replay DX, deffo get GMDX mod, it beats every mod out there.

PS2. Amazing read: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3114/postmortem_ion_storms_deus_ex.php

PS3. If you like history, good books, cyberpunk, conspiracies check this.
Guy is a crazy mofo to even attempt to do this, at the end of every video he has a 10 to 20 minute segment that delves deep into a lot of random yet amazing stuff, check it out: (Scroll to the end of the below clip to see what I mean)

I don't think of those themes much, I mean there oppressive corp or government is a staple of the sci-fi genre. Also I think a game like Deus Ex should allow you to choose your own path, be a fascist if you feel like oppressing the pueblo :D

Examples brought up before are real history, stuff that most don't even know. Because my Italian heritage I have been dreaming of making a game set in the 70s, one of the darkest periods. There's so much espionage and detective that you could source from. As well stuff like JFK assassination. But it's difficult, even to get to publish these games… remember of that Iraqi war game that was pulled (by T2 I think?), Falluja?

Edited by blackdog

12 hours ago, blackdog said:

I don't think of those themes much, I mean there oppressive corp or government is a staple of the sci-fi genre. Also I think a game like Deus Ex should allow you to choose your own path, be a fascist if you feel like oppressing the pueblo :D

Examples brought up before are real history, stuff that most don't even know. Because my Italian heritage I have been dreaming of making a game set in the 70s, one of the darkest periods. There's so much espionage and detective that you could source from. As well stuff like JFK assassination. But it's difficult, even to get to publish these games… remember of that Iraqi war game that was pulled (by T2 I think?), Falluja?

Yeah, GENERIC oppression. But so many people today think of "oppression" as something that happens to other people, mostly in the past. Games tend to take that point of view even more so, because the people that can afford to work in video games is inherently a tiny part of the population, and the best people in the general field frequently tend to leave it. What set Deus Ex and Red Faction apart is that they both deliberately tried to make you connect the events of the game to your own life by talking about real issues. At the end of the first level of DX the "terrorist leader" literally starts talking to you about tax rates and how corporations don't pay anything anymore compared to average Joes! :lol: For most games, talking about real issues doesn't go much farther than "Nazis are bad" most of the time.

Yeah! I really love how every Metal Gear Solid game shows you something in history but then inserts their own world into that, to the point where you start looking things up and reading further -- I didn't know much about Code Talkers or Diné beyond movies and a few things here and there and the game inspired me to read up on real history more. I would love to see more games do that, I look forward to playing Battlefield 1's campaign!