Sign in to follow this  
Sprony

God of War

I can relate to what's been said about the similarities to The Last Of Us. Curious to see where they are going with this gameplay-wise. XP for a "tracking" skill? Is this going to be open-world? Are they turning Kratos into Geralt and you'll have to hunt down mystical creatures?

I'd be more excited about this if it didn't have the God of War name on it OR if they made Kratos the villain of the game, does look really good though, I dig the setting.

My expectation would be something like Tomb Raider or Zelda? Big hubs and dungeons but not completely open world.

I agree that a new IP would have made sense, I'm not sure how they're going to manage to have a world of co-existing mythologies in a way that doesn't seem awkward and weird. Maybe it's the demise of the Olympians and their world that gives rise to the Norse? It's a theme with a lot of potential though, maybe one that wouldn't have been green lit without a successful IP behind it.

The gameplay definitely needed to change though. While it was a superbly successful formula in its day, God of War 3 both perfected it and took it as far as it could go. After that game's insanity there was no real way to make things more epic or more interesting to play without completely rethinking it. They tried to do some new stuff with Ascension and it just felt a bit shit.

On 14-6-2016 at 3:37 PM, Thrik said:

My expectation would be something like Tomb Raider or Zelda? Big hubs and dungeons but not completely open world.

I agree that a new IP would have made sense, I'm not sure how they're going to manage to have a world of co-existing mythologies in a way that doesn't seem awkward and weird. Maybe it's the demise of the Olympians and their world that gives rise to the Norse? It's a theme with a lot of potential though, maybe one that wouldn't have been green lit without a successful IP behind it.

The gameplay definitely needed to change though. While it was a superbly successful formula in its day, God of War 3 both perfected it and took it as far as it could go. After that game's insanity there was no real way to make things more epic or more interesting to play without completely rethinking it. They tried to do some new stuff with Ascension and it just felt a bit shit.

Yeah, I've played and finished all of them (including the PSP games) but 3 really is the series magnum opus.

It looks great but I'm worried it will have God of War's gameplay. Similar to uncharted4. A beautiful game that was super boring. 

Now if they had platinum design the gameplay for god of war. THEN I would be very interested :)