Quake Champions

Sprony

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, BJA said:

Interview at Gamescom, Mod support after release was mentioned, woot!

Well, he seemed disingenuous, non-committal and shifted in his seat when that question was asked. I believe his answer was "...we will look at how we will integrate that after launch..." and "...Okay, at launch we will, err, not support mods..."

Hate to draw upon other aspects of my life here, but when someone answers a question wide-eyed, looks directly at the person and has their eyebrows raised, it is because they really want to other person to believe what it is they are saying. In other words they are forcing the expression.

His other comments about using a combination of ID Tech 6 and third party software/tech is probably what is causing them issues and they (guessing) have licensing issues regarding giving the community tech which (guessing) would require decoupling and recoupling to work.

Chefs do not like people in their kitchens.

If I were in a non-sombre mood, I would say the reasons for his demeanour are because he simply doesn't know the answer fully but is trying his best to do the whole PR bit under (what seems) very difficult and noisy circumstances.

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

Interesting psychology analysis, now that you mention that, I always found that he spoke wide eyed lol

Some people do. When you look directly at someone for a short period and do this, without raising the eyebrows, that's fine. Long stares with the eyes wide and raised eyebrows when addressing someone happens for a few reasons, but mostly it's not believing what you are saying and forcing the look. Some people say this is because if they do not, they may do some of the classic 'tells' they are not saying something they believe in, like looking away, looking up, flicking the eyes around whilst accessing different parts of the brain to coat the words into convincing packets of data to send to the lips.

This is why it's hard to look someone in the face, directly and lie - because to do so requires immense effort to stop the (almost) automatic natural instinct to shift around in your seat, look about the room and generally avoid eye contact. Look at it this way, the face has got like 40 muscles in it, plus you got the eyes, the whole body moving and your brain accessing the hard drives and all of your other senses operating. You got to hit the 'turbo' button on the DX overlock to stop your natural instincts giving you up.

Telling the truth is easy, lying is incredibly hard.

14 hours ago, Buddy said:

Tim is selling the product, do not over-analyse ;) He is also clearly jet lagged.

Hence my last comment. It does appear to be difficult circumstances, and noisy; in a language he does not speak.

Tough to do PR under those circumstances, but I do not think that Modding or mods for this game are going to be what we understand mods to be. Snapmap is an example of this. Not knocking the fact it exists, but a full on SDK it is not...but I understand it is a transient system, so who knows what Snapmap will or shall become in the future.

For Quake, I think the question is  "Will we be able to create our own maps and administer our own servers?" if we got those two, then great - but the immediate follow-on from that is "Can WE port maps from prior versions, and can we create fresh and new mods for ourselves, our friends and the community én massé?"

The answer, AFAICT, is "no, no and no" with a side-step of "...not at launch..." but time is an interchangeable thing and allows you to be non-committal, doesn't it?  It's PR/Marketing 1-oh-1. He could've easily said "...not by lunch-time..." and due to the interchangeability of it, would have been just as accurate and non-committal.

Sprony said he has got maps 'ready' from prior version which he shelved - I think there are and must be others, and Quake Champions has the opportunity (Like Unreal Tournament had) to allow conversions from prior versions of Quake - but I doubt that will happen, based on those two comments alone.

Again, it could be due to difficult circumstances...time will tell.

Edited by Mitch Mitchell

• 6 months later...