Sprony

Quake Champions

19 hours ago, Mitch Mitchell said:
  1. Create BSP level, playtest the hell out of it until it shines like the tower of the pharaohs.
  2. Apply a script-aware texture/material to walls, floors, ceilings, windows, doors and differentiate between outside and inside.
  3. Apply script to map/level
  4. Script asks where the walls, floors, ceilings, windows and door meshes are - trims are assumptive.
  5. Script auto-populates level with said meshes, keeping inside the 'dimensions' of the BSP Geometry.
  6. Script has a 'seed' to RNG the usage of meshes for variety.
  7. Profit.

I'd rather they didn't release any kind of editor than put me through that soulless bastardisation of hobbyist level design.

17 hours ago, text_fish said:

I'd rather they didn't release any kind of editor than put me through that soulless bastardisation of hobbyist level design.

It's a time-saver. A massive time-saver. If you'll permit me: it's a time-saver so large and important that it would cut down the amazon rain forest with the right-click of the mouse.

It would not be something for final designs, it would be for final analysis.

Anyone still playing Quake Champions? I picked it back up recently when my friends got excited about the free release and it's really come a long way. It gives me terrible mapper-frustration though, so I might stop playing it until there's some sort of serious comment from the devs on custom content. I guess I'm a spoiled PC gamer, but a game without an editor just seems like half a product to me, and less worth investing my time in.

1 hour ago, text_fish said:

Anyone still playing Quake Champions? I picked it back up recently when my friends got excited about the free release and it's really come a long way. It gives me terrible mapper-frustration though, so I might stop playing it until there's some sort of serious comment from the devs on custom content. I guess I'm a spoiled PC gamer, but a game without an editor just seems like half a product to me, and less worth investing my time in.

Tried it during the first waves of beta invites and several months after that. The game took 5 minutes to start and connect/disconnect from servers every time a map changed. It ran smooth, but It was insane to wait every time so I stopped playing. 

I'm with you on the level editor and modding in general. I absolutely dislike the lack of support from companies/developers when it comes to creating content for their games.

Mmh now it's free I might try it.

An editor would be nice, but considering this is not yet even v1.0 they probably waiting to see what kind of traction there is and if is worth releasing it. I think they have felt a bit unhappy about SnapMap, although haven't check in with Doom in ages (and won't reinstall anytime soon).

SnapMap was an interesting attempt at offering an editor and a distribution platform, but it was ultimately just too limited. Quite garbage when you compare it to a proper editor. QC wouldn't probably have to do anything with that as it's not running on idtech, but on sabretech engine. Maybe @BJA can clarify on that.

I gave this a try over the weekend and it was alright. The main menu was confusing as hell and it wouldn't stop giving me tutorials on how to use it. If your main menu needs 5 tutorials to use then it's too bloated and complicated. Simplify that shit!

Gameplay wise it was your standard Quake fare, though I'm not a fan of the special abilities that characters had. For a shooter which is about skill, pixel perfect aiming and reaction speeds the special abilities just felt like a cheap way to get the upper hand on someone.

Had fun overall though and it felt great landing that perfect rail gun shot from a distance. I'd agree with @Radu about the game constantly loading between the menu and a map, back to the menu and back to a game again. But I guess they've got loot boxes now so they have to give you XP, level you up and shove the loot boxes you got in your face so you'll want to buy more.

Am over 30, have played a ridiculous amount of Q1/2/3. Life’s too short to be ”actively” playing Quake. I’d rather seek new experiences. As for the younger generation, yeah I guess they are getting destroyed and are more used to a social gaming experience, of which Quake doesn’t offer.

30 minutes ago, grapen said:

Am over 30, have played a ridiculous amount of Q1/2/3. Life’s too short to be ”actively” playing Quake. I’d rather seek new experiences. As for the younger generation, yeah I guess they are getting destroyed and are more used to a social gaming experience, of which Quake doesn’t offer.

Yeah, it's a bit odd when you think about it. Sure, it has the champions gimmick and loot boxes.., but put those things aside it's pretty much as it was 20 years ago. And that's not a bad thing for fans of the series, but when you have competition such as Overwatch, Paladins and TF2, you really want to bring some more gameplay modes to the table. Then again, maybe it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Look at Lawbreakers.