Quake Champions

Sprony

Played a few matches yesterday, still too early to judge but here are my first impressions :) 

First, let's get the bad stuff out of the way. First thing that caught my eye is how small the characters seem, it could be just me but there's something off about the scale that makes the game feel more like UT than Quake. They look tiny compared to the maps. Here's a list of minor annoyances that hopefully will get improved in the future: 

• Getting in a match takes forever... too much preparation and too many cutscenes... just drop me in the game!
  • The music is really awful... is it just piano notes?
  • Respawning feels weird, it needs to be as snappy as Quake 3's 
  • Too much F2P stuff cluttering the UI.

Now the good stuff:

• The game is fun and the shooting feels solid!
  • Love the taunts, specially Slasher's. "I hate being in the receiving end". lol
  • The character models look dope.

I'll be playing more, but I like what I played so far :)

Never been big on Quake but I thought it was meant to be a level playing field between everyone? No special skills or differences between players. Just pure movement and aim?

My old tutor is complaining on Facebook about the classes and such, he's a pretty hardcore fan as far as I can tell too!

2 hours ago, Radu said:

It's very much still about movement and aim. As the guy from IGN mentioned, the champion abilities are quite insignificant. They are a quick gimmick that can get you out of trouble or provide the finishing move on someone.

Abilities might be insignificant (and I'm okay with abilities, they could maybe be even bigger thing), but not the health/armor/speed/hitbox differences and "styles" (aircontrol, friction, etc).They should be equal to all.

I'm not feeling this, watched a gameplay with some rounds and the voices are incredibly annoying.

I know all the hopping around is legacy, but I find it a bit weird that something that came out of a bug is implemented on purpose. I mean if the reason is to move faster why don't just make player speed faster?