Quake Champions

Sprony

Apparently it's a hero shooter. Nothing wrong with those but  I guess I'm a bit old school. Especially when it comes to Doom, Quake and Unreal Tournament. I'd much rather let the guns do the talking than have random special abilities determine outcomes based on specific characters.

39 minutes ago, Sprony said:

Apparently it's a hero shooter. Nothing wrong with those but  I guess I'm a bit old school. Especially when it comes to Doom, Quake and Unreal Tournament. I'd much rather let the guns do the talking than have random special abilities determine outcomes based on specific characters.

abilities are not random, where you spawn might be ;) (so the guns/items you can get feel that way, in team games and for average players) somebody might poach them from you, suppose that is why 1v1 became the majority of quake and UT pro scene, by random I assume you mean rock paper scissors in heroes/class games, which is far from random obviously, frustrating sometimes? Yes :D Personally I enjoy both, but right now I enjoy playing ability/class games more because I'm an old fart with slow reaction times D:

I'd say that blue hair girl looks weird, I know chars were also all over the place In Q3, but in a way I don't feel she belongs.
Also... bring Klesk, Orbb, Bones, Xaero and Anarki back!!!! 

I'd love to see SP on this too, but the word "Champions" almost guarantees you it's going to be MP only, and there's nothing wrong with that if they nail it like they did with Q3.

Apparently it's being co-developed with Saber Interactive. Not sure what that means (I'd assume they are still probably going to use iD's engine), but I thought it was worth mentioning. If this could be some sort of a faster, more "Quake-like" Overwatch, then I think I could get into this. Part of me would still love a game more like Q3 arena, but I guess it's too early to dismiss this new idea completely. I hope dueling is somehow still a thing in this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_Champions

Edited by nikkoship

15 hours ago, 2d-chris said:

abilities are not random, where you spawn might be ;) (so the guns/items you can get feel that way, in team games and for average players) somebody might poach them from you, suppose that is why 1v1 became the majority of quake and UT pro scene, by random I assume you mean rock paper scissors in heroes/class games, which is far from random obviously, frustrating sometimes? Yes :D Personally I enjoy both, but right now I enjoy playing ability/class games more because I'm an old fart with slow reaction times D:

Yes, I shouldn't have used the word random. But waking up at 3:30 am to report on a press conference doesn't make you the sharpest tool in the shed. At least, that's what I choose to blame it on.

I know there are entire systems behind it and there's a lot of thought put into it. I respect it, but I just don't want to play it. I don't want QuakeWatch, I want a hardcore violent arena shooter where everything is skill based. Quick reflexes, incredible speed, bunny hopping, rocket jumping, circle strafing and so on. I don't want a dumbed down game that caters to the casuals, but hey, that's not where the money is, I get it. But just don't call it Quake then. You know you're going to get this flak if you do. Plus, I have a hard time believing anything Willits says.

Yes, Doom SP is awesome. Yes, id made a return to form. But don't forget, Doom MP did not go down well and currently they are working their ass off on damage control. Quake Live was canned for a reason. The people working on it wanted to stick to what made Quake great, the suits however, pressed for loadouts and what not and basically killed the game. 

1 hour ago, DrywallDreams said:

At some point, I think QC should be something new.  We already have Reflex being made by a very competent team, id should be able to reinvent Quake like Doom.

Hey, maybe it's awesome. Hell, I'm skeptic, but I'm still interested. Doom surprised me, I hope this one does the same. I'm just saying, so far, I'm wary.

Wow, I expected more enthusiasm on this…!

I hate cg trailers but this one resonated with me having old known characters in it. Maybe we'll even see Commander Keen lol

In particular I was surprised-hyped to see the classic Q1 thunder-gun make a return.

Hope it won't share ideas from Overwatch, I perceived it like an "all stars" Q3 game: Classic arena dm with nostalgia characters. If it's more complicated than that is probably a waste.

Anyway, 120hz gaming??!

Edited by blackdog