de_colosseum [WIP]

RedHawk

Just now, MinorThreat said:

Have it set in the Coliseum itself with lions and epic chariot races.

Haha, would be awesome though, but we have to remember this is csgo we´re talking about and not a standalone game ;) (I wish I was skilled and had the willpower to take the job of making an actual game)

15 minutes ago, Lajron said:

1st rule of Hammer Club : never use the carve tool.
2nd rule of Hammer Club : NEVER use the carve tool.

Tho in all seriousness , don't use the carve tool..

Don´t worry, the two half domes is the only thing I´ll be using the carve tool. 

It was the only way I could come up to make that.

Edited by RedHawk

24 minutes ago, tomm said:

You could fire up blender and make those domes in 5 minutes.

then spend the next 2 hours figuring out how to get them into the game.

I see what you did there....

Anyways I found it easy to do it the way I did.

7 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Anyways I found it easy to do it the way I did.

Just because your method is easier doesn't mean it's correct. Seriously, there is a reason why the carve tool is a running joke. Don't use it!

9 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Not even for that one single half-dome?

That one dome is probably 20% of your brush limit and destroying any chances of optimisation on your map. I don't know why valve have the carvetool as an option still- does anyone (of professional level) use it?

Regarding the map- you should build a layout before you think about how you'll implement the theme. The theme should accent the layout- Not dictate it. Rome could be pretty cool though!

2 hours ago, Vaya said:

I don't know why valve have the carvetool as an option still- does anyone (of professional level) use it?

@KungFuSquirrel used it for koth_roundhouse. But obviously he knows what he's doing : )

99,99999% of the time you should not use the carve tool.

Contador knows best how often it is okay to use it:

14 hours ago, rosk said:

Make it more interesting! I'd rather blow up some cathedrals rather than some already ruined ruins. Blowing up some Roman history seems like a bad attempt on getting them to change their entry prices to go see these rocks.

Don't agree much with this, I would point out first that the whole area is quite open and doesn't lend itself to a great layout.

Anyway, the way we treat our heritage in Italy, blowing up the ruins would surely make many politicians and builders (often the same people!) very happy because it would open up new development areas!

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

Don't agree much with this, I would point out first that the whole area is quite open and doesn't lend itself to a great layout.

Anyway, the way we treat our heritage in Italy, blowing up the ruins would surely make many politicians and builders (often the same people!) very happy because it would open up new development areas!

Heh, Italians never change, do they? Maybe for the greedy politicians themselves it may be good, but from a historical perspective, not as much imo.

7 hours ago, Vaya said:

That one dome is probably 20% of your brush limit and destroying any chances of optimisation on your map. I don't know why valve have the carvetool as an option still- does anyone (of professional level) use it?

Regarding the map- you should build a layout before you think about how you'll implement the theme. The theme should accent the layout- Not dictate it. Rome could be pretty cool though!

Tbh I didn´t know there even was a brush limit. And I should either not use a half-dome or make the half-dome some other way.

Also, unlike most people, I find it hard to think of a layout without thinking of where the map is going to be set more or less. I know that in this picture the area seems very open (becuase it is), but I know that place very well and I´ve already been thinking of ways to make it more closed and with more cover.