de_colosseum [WIP]

RedHawk

*Edit*

/** Alpha of the map in in the steam workshop now http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=700501278 /**

After taking a break from the map I decided to stop working on, I´ve decided to start working on a new one set in the ruins next to the colosseum (thinking of a location helps me come up with a layout more easily).

This is the location with a few annotions:

Colisseum map layout idea.jpg

And here´s two screenshots from what I´ve done in 5 mins: 

•  

32190367b21f62c66a5ac3e90894ba82.pngd9035a99cd9951c212840c14eb2d65e8.png

All ideas are welcome!

*EDIT* :Layout mostly done.

Radar.jpg

Edited by RedHawk

i like the potential B-Site on your pic. the rest of the map looks a bit to open for my taste. Yet that says nothing abou the ways you'll create your map.

That half-dome in Hammer looks quite impressive, yet a bit messed up. ow did you create it ?

5 minutes ago, Shibou said:

i like the potential B-Site on your pic. the rest of the map looks a bit to open for my taste. Yet that says nothing abou the ways you'll create your map.

That half-dome in Hammer looks quite impressive, yet a bit messed up. ow did you create it ?

Yeah, the pic is just like an idea, I´ll change the building so that they´re not as ruined to allow cover and be less open and such. I did the half dome using the carve tool like the two people above ^^ said. Don´t worry, I know it´s pretty buggy but I´m only going to use it twice for the two half-domes on the church (b-site is an old Roman church in case you didn´t know).

I used to go to this place once every month when I was  kid and I know it pretty well.

5 minutes ago, Bevielis said:

Those two domes willl have more brushes inside of them than Half Life 2.

Legends say the entirety of Half Life 3 will be made using only the carve tool. (No but really, never use the carve tool.)

Edited by Wrakke

2 minutes ago, rosk said:

There doesn't seem much of a point in blowing up some ruins though, just make it a bit more interesting rather than just some crates near these ruins. I love the carve tool also, it helps my compile times!

Man, it´s Rome. Those ruins are one of the most important Roman ruins. It is an almost complete Roman market and church (b-site is the church). It´s a very important part of Roman history.

5 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Man, it´s Rome. Those ruins are one of the most important Roman ruins. It is an almost complete Roman market and church (b-site is the church). It´s a very important part of Roman history.

Make it more interesting! I'd rather blow up some cathedrals rather than some already ruined ruins. Blowing up some Roman history seems like a bad attempt on getting them to change their entry prices to go see these rocks.

Edited by rosk

18 minutes ago, Terri said:

Seriously you cant use the carve tool for this stuff, it creates crazy geometry and will become unworkable instantly.

That´s a lot of crazy geometry for sure, but I´m not looking to make terrain with the carve tool. Only using it this one time to create the half-domes. Also, for now it´s its own block so I can remove it in order to create other blocks underneath easily.

9 minutes ago, rosk said:

There doesn't seem much of a point in blowing up some ruins though, just make it a bit more interesting rather than just some crates near these ruins. I love the carve tool also, it helps my compile times!

Heh, I see your point. Maybe it´s more interesting for me as I visited that place many times when I was little and I´ve always liked Roman history in general. I could make it more interesting by adding some "secret project" or something, but for now it´s "just" blowing up one of the most important ruins in of the Roman history.

5 minutes ago, Wrakke said:

b07oPW6.png

WHAT? Didn't even know this was a feature.

I didn´t expect so many people to answer tbh, I have low expectations when it´s me and forums.

Just now, Bevielis said:

So using your advanced technique I was able to create an amazing modern art piece. Considering redoing my map this way. seVWd98.png

Oh, wow. 3D print it and sell it for millions Kappa. 
It´s a nice tool but I hear it makes it hard to work on when you over-use it