PixelPerfectPolygons

Our Ghosts of War - UE4 WW2 Sandbox [Dev Journal]

I've negotiated the involvement of an artist that has contributed to some AAA games and upon hearing the internal details for what we're planning for this game, they decided to jump aboard Our Ghosts of War. Today was their first day on the job and they've been tasked to create Point Du Hoc. This is their progress for the day. I'll keep you updated.

8XdpiKv.png
XD2pTwS.jpg
8MEml0I.png
JMm4gds.jpg
ZJgA0e2.jpg
SJ3Qjk2.jpg

Edited by PixelPerfectPolygons

2222222222_2.jpg

Important update. I've reached out to 3 artists involved in AAA development. Great all around talents whose help the project could definitely use. Although they're interested in contributing to Our Ghosts of War they're hesitant to join until we show some gameplay. So Alireza is banging out a 1024 x 1024 level that we're going to apply all our finished gameplay to. It's a simple level divided by a river in the middle. 

This level should be done in 2-3 days and then forwarded to our coders who will begin to apply all the gameplay systems they've created so far to the level. We'd then run some multiplayer tests and based on crits from inside the team we would continue to refine our gameplay.

After reviewing performance issues, Alireza would make a new 2k map and we'd repeat the process. This is important because as we increase the scale of the game the odds of players running into each other shrinks dramatically and that's something we need to consider as it directly affects the feel of the game. Once we expand that to 400km2 the experience will become far different than something like Rust or Ark which usually have far, far smaller map sizes.

This is literally the most realistic foliage or nature picture I've seen in Unreal Engine. Absolutely stunning.

The color of the bottom layer of trees (2) is a bit off I think. It has some weird unatural look, a look that most other foliage in unreal has. But all the rest if f'ing epic. Really.Untitled-1.jpg

b5f38c0b67d9ab36609111b12809aeb9.gif
502426e6a3a7607dfec9054aebde3eef.gif

So animations...

Our plan has been to scour the net first to get the basic animations we need like walking, running, crouching, going prone, etc. Both the Unreal Marketplace and the Unity Asset Store are great resources. Retargeting purchased animations requires a skilled hand and our rigger Dragan has done a wonderful job of rising to the occasion. I couldn't be more proud to have him on the team.

Once we incorporate all the relevant animations from the Marketplace and Asset Store we'll do an inventory of the animations that still need to be completed. With that list in hand we'll begin our hiring process to get someone on the team that could take care of that for us. We'll see how it goes although I have a few really good looking reels and portfolios bookmarked.

07/24/16 UPDATE

Video of Tank Treads in Operation + Physics

https://i.gyazo.com/44ad772dd83f4208acad97f115d697a8.mp4

The old system used ISM (Instanced Static Mesh Components) but the new one just uses normal skeletal mesh components. There isn't another way of having birds with animations from the best of my knowledge. Here's a new update. They avoid buildings as you can now see. If someone knows another way of having bird animations but with a cheaper solution then please let us know.