Filipe Goncalves

[UE4] Station C3 - Sci-fi Environment (WIP)

27 minutes ago, Filipe Goncalves said:

I had the crazy idea of using wood on a portion of the wall. Is there wood in space? Of course not! This is just a synthetic coating imitating wood! :)
What do you think? Keep it or lose it?
Changed the scene back to daytime.

097_01.jpg

I feel like if it's a part of the decoration of single restaurant it would be more effective, some earthly meals place or somethin' I wouldn't go too crazy with it, but small personal accents go a long way, it;s like your telling a story with it. 

1 minute ago, 2d-chris said:

I feel like if it's a part of the decoration of single restaurant it would be more effective, some earthly meals place or somethin' I wouldn't go too crazy with it, but small personal accents go a long way, it;s like your telling a story with it. 

Thanks. I agree. I'm going to dedicate some time to other areas and then look at this again with fresh eyes. :)

Yesterday I updated unreal from version 4.11 to 4.12
After I converted the project I noticed that things looked different. Everything is darker, more contrasty and some materials way more reflective.
If you look at the floor this is very obvious. The rough areas on the floor turned almost white in version 4.12
I already tweaked a lot of parameters but I still can't replicate the look I had in version 4.11...
Any suggestions?

097_03.jpg

2 hours ago, Filipe Goncalves said:

Yesterday I updated unreal from version 4.11 to 4.12
After I converted the project I noticed that things looked different. Everything is darker, more contrasty and some materials way more reflective.
If you look at the floor this is very obvious. The rough areas on the floor turned almost white in version 4.12
I already tweaked a lot of parameters but I still can't replicate the look I had in version 4.11...
Any suggestions?

097_03.jpg

Honestly, I like 4.12 more :)

17 minutes ago, Klassic said:

Honestly, I like 4.12 more :)

Yes you're not the first to tell me that :)

I feel reflections may be a little too strong. I guess I'll have to rework the roughness map :(

18 minutes ago, Minos said:

Did you try rebaking the map?

What do you mean by rebaking the map? You mean the level light build? If that's the case yes I have rebuilt the lighting.

This is a bug. Answer from one of the Unreal developers: " I was able to track this down. I hoisted the max roughness mip count out of the shader into the c++ side and the "- 1" to get the max mip index was still being applied on both sides (in c++ and hlsl). I will have this fixed in the next HotFix. Thank you so much for reporting it. "

I'm having a hard time making this glass material look right inside UE4. It's very different from what I get in Substance Painter as you can see. The glass is not a separate object, it's part of the same mesh, so when I set the material to translucent inside UE4, other parts of the mesh get transparent too... so I decided to try changing the material blending mode to masked. Now the object is opaque but the glass transparency doesn't accept intermediate values: its either is completly transparent or completly opaque...
Any clues on how to solve this?
Thanks.

d_001.jpg

Masked blending mode is for "cutout" style masking - either the material is completely opaque or completely transparent, but never anything "in-between". 

Maybe separate the glass part into its own mesh/material? 

35 minutes ago, spence said:

Masked blending mode is for "cutout" style masking - either the material is completely opaque or completely transparent, but never anything "in-between". 

Maybe separate the glass part into its own mesh/material? 

Yes. I tried making everything in one material but didn't work. With a separate material everything works fine. 

d_002.jpg