Sign in to follow this  
Beck

Civilization VI

Reviews are good, it unlocked right after midnight yesterday so I had a hard time going to bed, but I stayed strong :) Wasn't planning to play it yet, but I don't think I can resist trying it before working a bit.

Bought it today after reading soooo much praise! I opted to buy it from greenmangaming because it was 25% off the Steam price (60 euro is a bit steep for a pc game that costs around 45-50 euros in stores).

All right, my first Civ game, let's fail horribly!

How you finding it Puddy? I'm really enjoying it. The art style is brilliant, and the way the music evolves as you play is fantastic.

Did my first religious victory last night, that was really good fun!

Been enjoying it so far, its in a much better state than V was on release.

Got my first win as China on emperor difficulty. Played quite passive and got an easy culture win so decided to play a bit more of a warmonger as England on immortal difficulty. Early game wars tanked my economy so later focused on getting as many trade routes and possible and pushing a science victory, but England have such powerful late game museums that 2 turns before my last science project  would finish, I accidentally triggered another culture victory.

They have some excellent new additions. I actually really like that they removed a lot of stuff that added complexity but didn't really make the game more fun. There are a lot fewer units and are now basically divided into four groups playing a rock paper scissors game. Spearmen > horses > swordmen that later upgrade into anti tank > tanks > infantry so all fit the same role. then support units like archers and catapults. Its the same with the districts and buildings, far fewer buildings but all have more perks. So you really have to think about what you want to do as placing a district doesn't really give you any benefits, just allows you to build its associated buildings so you really have to decide early on what you want from that city as you cant build all the districts early on.

Biggest improvement for me has to be the removal of workers and now you have a builder that has 3 uses and its gone. It forces you to think about what you want to focus on in the early game instead of just hitting automate.

Tech balance is pretty horrible right now as you can end up having all the end game tech by the 1600's. And the AI has no idea how to properly organise districts and seem to have no idea about culture so towards the later 1/3 of the game you can really push past them regardless of how poor you were doing in the beginning. My immortal game I was still in the renaissance era while 3 other civs were in the atomic era, but I still managed to win culture and 2 turns later would have got science.

Other things like coastal cities being a waste as water tiles are pretty useless right now and the AI will never be able to capture one of your cities as long as you have a single range unit protecting it. Diplomacy is also a bit crazy.

I'm certain that after all the updates and DLC releases it will be a far superior game than V, but right now there are quite a lot of issues with the balance of the game that can be annoying.