Yanzl

VMT Editor - fast and simple editor for vmt files

On 25. 5. 2016 at 7:43 PM, Dosentti said:

I have checked the "save last selected game". Anyways it's not so big deal. 

One other thing that would be small but great thing is that program would automatically suggest the name for the .vmt file. It could be the same name as the base .vtf has.

Can you try opening the editor, selecting the game, and then closing and reopening it? 

CS:GO supports all the parameters in the editor, but some of the older games might not.

I implemented the suggesting vmt name along with some bug fixes in next update.

Edited by Yanzl

11 hours ago, Yanzl said:

Can you try opening the editor, selecting the game, and then closing and reopening it? 

I implemented the suggesting vmt name along with some bug fixes in a mini update here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4380409/VMT_Editor.exe Just replace the current .exe.

Just tested the new version and it now remembers the game and file saving is made easier. Great, thanks :)

And since I started suggesting these features there's still one that might be good. --> instead of going file-> save as -> saving stuff through there could be a button for example at the lover right corner or at least right side of the window that says "save" or "Create" or something like that. At least for me it would feel more intuitive to use than this old school way. 

Okay, I´ve used the program for quite a while now and I love it to bits!

The UI is sexy and everything works really well.

The only thing I dislike is the lack of blend modes for the detail textures. 

Me and a lot of other people like using the detail texture for ambient occlusion by setting the scale to 1.0 and using the parameter 8 for multiplying.

VMT Editor would be perfect if you added that!

Yeah there's no 3D preview. There was a plan to include it early in development, but we didn't implement it for a couple of reasons.

It's harder to code a proper 3D viewport compared to the 2D texture previews, and implementing accurate Source engine looking shader is another challenge. It would have to emulate most of the vmt parameters, and chances are it would look different once ingame. Also Source 2 has been on the horizon now for quite some time, so it feels kinda pointless adding such a big feature only to have no one really use it. The Source mapping community is small, there's less people that make their own source engine textures, and the user base of VMT Editor right now is a small subset of those people. 

So right now Dima (the coder) has his own obligations and can't really work on the editor any more and I don't posses the coding skills to implement all that. Like I said in the OP, the source code is on Gitlab if anyone would like to contribute, but unless there's like a big demand for new features like that it probably won't happen :( .

3 hours ago, Yanzl said:

Yeah there's no 3D preview. There was a plan to include it early in development, but we didn't implement it for a couple of reasons.

It's harder to code a proper 3D viewport compared to the 2D texture previews, and implementing accurate Source engine looking shader is another challenge. It would have to emulate most of the vmt parameters, and chances are it would look different once ingame. Also Source 2 has been on the horizon now for quite some time, so it feels kinda pointless adding such a big feature only to have no one really use it. The Source mapping community is small, there's less people that make their own source engine textures, and the user base of VMT Editor right now is a small subset of those people. 

So right now Dima (the coder) has his own obligations and can't really work on the editor any more and I don't posses the coding skills to implement all that. Like I said in the OP, the source code is on Gitlab if anyone would like to contribute, but unless there's like a big demand for new features like that it probably won't happen :( .

OK, makes sense :) 

Sauce 2 pls

VMT Editor 1.1 is now out! This version aims to improve the texture to vtf workflow, hopefully eliminating need for other tools.

Get it here: https://github.com/Gira-X/VMT-Editor/releases/download/v1.1.1/VMT_Editor_1.1.1.zip

Some examples:

Opening a png file outside of game material directory - converts to vtf and copies it when you save:

Opening a png with VMT Editor - brings up the Convert to VTF dialog:

Here's the changelog: 

• Added reconvert button for textures outside of game directory
  • Added check for updates button
  • Opening a texture with VMT Editor brings up the Convert to VTF dialog
  • Redesigned Convert to VTF dialog
  • Added autocomplete in Additional parameters tab
  • Fixed parsing bugs

As always I hope you'll find it useful and if you have any questions or suggestions feel free to post them here.

UPDATE: Version 1.1.1 with bugfixes now out.

Edited by Yanzl

1.2 update! https://github.com/Gira-X/VMT-Editor/releases/tag/v1.2.0

Added new Tree sway and Decal groups, available under VertexLitGeneric
scNa0fk.png

Improved Water creation with toolbar buttons and sliders.

Added icons to menu actions
uY9KJQF.png

Added game detection for Black Mesa, Insurgency and Day of Infamy

Fixed vmt subgroups parsing on files with more than one subgroup

Fixed water parsing bugs