Battlefield 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsetlemming said:

Haha owned

Really confused as to where you'd get the idea that there were only bolt action rifles and revolvers in WW1. The M1911 is in basically every videogame ever made.

edit: The Wikipedia page for WW1 has a photograph of a british machine gun team at the very top of the page, lmao did this guy read literally anything before making this video

Well, you see in that sort of early war, automatic small arms such as 1911 weren't commonly issued among soldiers, and of course only for Americans. Machine guns were present, but not very mobile and often stayed in one place. So I am thinking it is probably correct in assuming it would be mostly bolt action rifles, but the development team may take some creative liberties. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, otoya said:

Well, you see in that sort of early war, automatic small arms such as 1911 weren't commonly issued among soldiers, and of course only for Americans. Machine guns were present, but not very mobile and often stayed in one place. So I am thinking it is probably correct in assuming it would be mostly bolt action rifles, but the development team may take some creative liberties. 

You can see in the trailer multiple instances of machine guns or trench guns. I think we can safely assume DICE are going to let Support carry around Browning LMGs, etc. It's not that much of a stretch beyond any war game with guns available by player choice. While it's interesting to play with in SP (I still remember vividly the COD1 level where you are given a clip of ammo instead of a gun, and have to wait and loot a killed ally), realistically apportioned resources doesn't really have a place in MP.

8 minutes ago, Jetsetlemming said:

You can see in the trailer multiple instances of machine guns or trench guns. I think we can safely assume DICE are going to let Support carry around Browning LMGs, etc. It's not that much of a stretch beyond any war game with guns available by player choice. While it's interesting to play with in SP (I still remember vividly the COD1 level where you are given a clip of ammo instead of a gun, and have to wait and loot a killed ally), realistically apportioned resources doesn't really have a place in MP.

Well that is what I meant by "creative liberties". Browning M1918 was only used for three months in first world war, as for many other machine guns, they are simply too difficult to be operated by a single man as consequence of their great weight. However it is Battlefield, so you are probably correct in thinking DICE will make players able to use such large machine guns, as with their games they seem to neglect history. But fact is for someone knowledgeable of first world war, it will appear grossly unrealistic. I will still play and enjoy though.

Wow! Looks cool. Really doubted they would actually do a WW1 game despite all the rumours indicating it. Judging from the trailer though, it seems like it's a very over-the-top stylized version of World War 1 they've gone with (which is fine). 

Now, I want to see some un-edited mp gameplay to see what it's like!

1 hour ago, PogoP said:

Personally I think the name is awful though and will be confusing as fuck in 10/20 years time when people look back lol.

How can you even say that?? look at this perfectly logical list :v

• Battlefield 1942
  • Battlefield Vietnam
  • Battlefield 2
  • Battlefield 2142
  • Battlefield Bad Company
  • Battlefield Heroes
  • Battlefield 1943
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam
  • Battlefield Online
  • Battlefield Play4Free
  • Battlefield 3
  • Battlefield 4
  • Battlefield: Hardline
  • Battlefield 1

It is the "in" thing right now to name your sequel something silly and confuse everyone with it.

So if this is Battlefield 1 will the next one be called Battlefield 2? Oh wait.

Why isn't this called Battlefield 5? Are publishers afraid of a game having a number after it nowadays that's higher than 4?

I just hope there's more solid maps designed around rush or another asymmetrical "push" game mode. I think this was what made BC2 so memorable for me, I felt like rush was where the team-play really mattered. Rush is where I feel like the majority of my "battlefield moments" came from. Games like Red Orchestra (I know, very different game) are so enjoyable imo because of these style of game modes, despite being somewhat stripped down/clunky compared to the polish of dice games. I just get so bored in conquest :(. It just feels like TDM nowadays. A dream come true would be a "Zepplin Assault" game mode similar to "Walker Assault" in Battlefront. I think I'm becoming more and more excited about this game as I think about all of the possibilities. 

Edited by nikkoship

5 hours ago, Pampers said:

How can you even say that?? look at this perfectly logical list :v

• Battlefield 1942
  • Battlefield Vietnam
  • Battlefield 2
  • Battlefield 2142
  • Battlefield Bad Company
  • Battlefield Heroes
  • Battlefield 1943
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam
  • Battlefield Online
  • Battlefield Play4Free
  • Battlefield 3
  • Battlefield 4
  • Battlefield: Hardline
  • Battlefield 1

Logic approves.

9 hours ago, PogoP said:

Intriguing. Can't wait to hear more.

Personally I think the name is awful though and will be confusing as fuck in 10/20 years time when people look back lol.

In 10-20 years they will have rebooted the series –in terms of historical context– couple times ;p

I would have liked another title but honestly this is better (simpler) than Battlefield: The Great War or Battlefield 1914.

Edited by blackdog