Sign in to follow this  
knj

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

2 hours ago, r1ar said:

Looks like true - http://steamcharts.com/app/292730

cod_online.jpg

Wow. Have to admit I did buy this (I always buy COD) but for the first time ever I've not touched the MP over the launch weekend, I went straight onto the Modern Warfare remaster. I guess I'm not the only one.

I played a few hours of this game this morning, and good lord is it fucked up. The story design basically feels like Harvester, if Harvester was designed to turn you into a jingoistic war criminal instead of a serial killer cult member (but truly, what's the difference?), coupled with a writer furious at Starship Troopers' lampooning of militarism and Red Faction's celebration of collectivist uprisings against oppressive Capitalism. The antagonists, Martian colonists, literally say "freedom is bad", and the protagonists are literally "defending our way of life". After the intro mission the PC and his commander bemoan how terrible it is that politicians don't want war all the time like they do, and of course, in this story, they're right for wanting war. The principal antagonist is designed to look like Che Guevara, and in his introductory cutscene literally shoots one of his lackeys to prove how bad he is. The game goes out of its way to tell you all these missions and all this killing across the solar system is taking place in a single day. When you first do a FTL jump, there are people visible outside the window of the bridge, working on your ship. After the jump, they're not there. You just blasted those engineers into the void, apparently, despite not even being in a hurry (this same scene lets you sit and read a computer for notes about how it's good to be a cog in a machine and things like that). 

Sure, technically it's a competent shooter. But even mechanically it's not as fun as at least half a dozen other games this year I could list, including Homefront: The Revolution, which is also less stupid and jingoistic, despite the shared themes. 

COD is fundamentally a game for twelvesters.

I finishes COD Ghosts the other day and was noticing how the missions are so perfectly timed and paced to work with bite sized sessions, or give you that toilet break that you might after a couple.

Expecting deep storytelling from this series is wanting to see a mirage.

Edited by blackdog

COD1 and 2 had multiple protagonists from different countries, including great Soviet campaigns, and intentionally focused on how no one man is an army. Black Ops 1 and 2 had decent stories that were pretty cynical about American imperialism (since, you know, they were about Black Ops, lol). Infinite Warfare returns to the dismally low lows of World at War, though, and it's just really goddamn gross about it, especially since this time lots of people in the press are praising it for a cast full of tokens who just talk about how much they want to kill all the people who "hate our freedom".

So it's free weekend, cleaned up the hard drive to make 50gb of space to give it a try and obviously it's MP only enabled (I mention only because they don't say it on the game pages before you download -- also, they could've made it a demo where you play first mission) and when I finally get to click to join a game mode... I just sat there for 10 minutes with nothing coming up for TDM, DM or Domination.

I imagine my network is too shit to handle this? If so at least a message that says they can't find a match with decent ping would be better than just leaving you there twiddling your thumbs. And CSGO used to find games... then I would drop or lag every so many minutes but at least it was starting something.