[Troubleshooting] There is no light on my maps !

bEn-

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure this thread is well placed. If it isn't feel free to re-locate it.

So I explain to you. I've been out of Source Mapping because everything I do on Hammer never render properly. Every map I compile end up to be full black.

I've been looking for a way to resolve it but everything I've done doesn't fix it. I think the problem is about the software installation and not about a mistake on mapping.
Because when i send the file to a friend for him to compile, everythings works fine and i end up with the map light up. But when I'm doing the compile, everythings turn black again!

Have you ever experienced something like that ? I've test a lot of things like re-installing CSGO/CSGOSDK etc... same sh*t happen. But I will redo it if you told me too :)

I will go deeper in detailling the problem as I am just going back on it too !

Do you have a light entity like light_environment on your map? If you don't you should add one since this is what creates ambient light. If you don't have any light-entities the map should compile to be fully lit though.

There was an update a while back that messed up the standard compile settings, but, to my knowledge this only affected the light of off models like prop_static.

Thanks for reply,

Yes of course I have a light_environment on my map. I've tested it with defaut settings and settings copyed from classic map such as Dust2 etc. But this isn't fixing it at all.
As I've said, I don't think it's about a mapping error but more about something not working well on the compile process because if I sent the file to one of you, you will be able to compile it well and everything will be OK. I've tested it with Laminutederire, and he could compile all my map without any problem where I can't.

6 minutes ago, bEn- said:

Thanks for reply,

Yes of course I have a light_environment on my map. I've tested it with defaut settings and settings copyed from classic map such as Dust2 etc. But this isn't fixing it at all.
As I've said, I don't think it's about a mapping error but more about something not working well on the compile process because if I sent the file to one of you, you will be able to compile it well and everything will be OK. I've tested it with Laminutederire, and he could compile all my map without any problem where I can't.

Duh, I missed that in the original post. Sorry about that.

This sounds really odd. I have no idea how to troubleshoot besides uninstalling CS GO, the SDK, make sure that all excess files on the hard drive are removed and try installing all it again.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but hopefully someone else on here has a fix! :)

Yes I think I will do something like that !
How and I need to add something about the problem. It does not happen all the time ! Sometimes I'm able to compile it well and everything is fine. So i'm happy and i work on my map until it doesn't work anymore ! Awfull feeling when you really want to test something and you can't. And i've runned a test btw. A simple map that I compile : It works. I didn't change anything a all on the map. I just recompile it one more time in the exact same way, and guess what ?! doesn't work anymore!

Now i'm actually on a little map i'm doing and it works ( for now ! ) I hope it will work untill forever but i'm not sure about it. I will tell here when it doesn't work and what was my last change etc...