Jump to content
shawnolson

Wall Worm A-Z (Basics)

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, catfood said:

Wallworm is fucking awesome thank you so much :-D

:) Thank you for the endorsement. Such opinions go a long way in helping keep me motivated to continue working on this project.

I should take time to make a better video than the one above. Although making displacements from a single epoly template is possible, you get better results by making a template that is actually a bunch of valid brushes (as each element). There is a tool in WW collection (ShellVex) that can convert the faces to brushes... but I didn't demonstrate it here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i started to learn 3dsmax with some youtube tuts and installed wallworm.
i made a simple custom cube for a first test as you can see in the images below.
wall worm is working as expected, collision worked too but my materials were not the same like in 3ds.
only the basic diffuse color is added like you see in the picture. what did i do wrong and how can i solve this?
i guess this is a dumb question - thanks in advance for any answer and thank you for wallworm!

DVwWw8E.jpg

5dDQEyL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, baem123 said:

.. but my materials were not the same like in 3ds.
only the basic diffuse color is added like you see in the picture. what did i do wrong and how can i solve this?
i guess this is a dumb question - thanks in advance for any answer and thank you for wallworm!

No question is dumb :)

So the answer to this question is generally straightforward. You need to "Bake" the procedural Noise texture to a Bitmap. All procedural maps (Noise, Cellular, Substance, etc) must be baked into bitmaps. Depending on what you are doing, this can be either using the Render Map function in the Material Editor or it could be using the Render To Texture (RTT) utility. The render map will create a bitmap for a texture and the Render To Texture can take a complex set of textures and bake them to bitmaps according to the UV layout. For both, make sure to create TGA bitmaps.

The RTT will replace your material with a new material where Bitmaps are used instead of the procedural textures. If you use another method, you'll have to manually assign those bitmaps.

Hopefully this helps you understand some more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent updates to WW have included a bunch of new icons/toolbars/UI updates. I did not know that these updates broke the installer/updater for 2016 and older as I've been primarily working in 2019.3 and later. Today I loaded a new update for WW that will properly install/update into 2016 and older.

That being said, I strongly urge all WW users to use 3ds Max 2019.3 or later. Why? Too many reasons, honestly. But here is just one example of the kinds of things you can do in later versions of Max. (See the new site Hammered to the Max for even more videos that precede this video).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@shawnolson Looks great, this is the first thing I dreamed of when I came to the antiquated hammer tools from modern modeling software. Little did I know it was a thing! However, as a Maya lover, I was wondering if there was any way to install wallworm on Maya with basic brush import/model export functionality. If not, I suppose I could just pick up 3ds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, Interfearance said:

@shawnolson Looks great, this is the first thing I dreamed of when I came to the antiquated hammer tools from modern modeling software. Little did I know it was a thing! However, as a Maya lover, I was wondering if there was any way to install wallworm on Maya with basic brush import/model export functionality. If not, I suppose I could just pick up 3ds.

Wall Worm started as a work of passion that proceeded so extensively and rapidly only because of my own particular goals (centered in a Max pipeline). At this point to start a new branch of WW (devoted to such an old engine) on a new platform would be a huge investment of my time with little returns. As such, it is very unlikely that there will ever be a version of WW outside of 3ds Max. That being said, if you are already competent in Maya, you will certainly pick up Max fairly quickly.

Also, in general news about WW, Autodesk recently featured an article they asked me to write about the development of Wall Worm. See From Black Sheep to Black Mesa and Beyond.

More excitingly, I will be the keynote speaker this year at GDC for Autodesk on 3ds Max. So if you're going to GDC, make sure to come see talk that includes a lot of information about using Max and developing tools for Max.

Edited by shawnolson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Shawn, first I'd like to thank you a lot for creating WallWorm. Being able to do pretty much all of my mapping workflow inside of Max is an absolute bliss. 

I want to ask you if WallWorm supports or it's a planned addition for VMF importing to include the correct scale of CSGO props that have been adjusted in Hammer (this is a feature added in March 2018 that allowed re-sizing static props, more here under [SDK] https://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2018/03/20309/ ). I looked around the settings and on the internet and couldn't find any info on this, so this is why I came here to ask you.

Thank you for your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mega said:

Hello Shawn, first I'd like to thank you a lot for creating WallWorm. Being able to do pretty much all of my mapping workflow inside of Max is an absolute bliss. 

I want to ask you if WallWorm supports or it's a planned addition for VMF importing to include the correct scale of CSGO props that have been adjusted in Hammer (this is a feature added in March 2018 that allowed re-sizing static props, more here under [SDK] https://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2018/03/20309/ ). I looked around the settings and on the internet and couldn't find any info on this, so this is why I came here to ask you.

Thank you for your time.

:) I am happy you are enjoying WW.

The VMF exporter honors scale for props that support it. But it looks like I may need to address this in the importer. I'll put it on the TODO and try to get it into the next update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mega WW/WW Pro were updated today to support importing props using modelscale or uniformscale. This includes CS:GO and Black Mesa prop_dynamic as well as prop_scalable. Other games/mods depend on their particular FGD. For any entity using modelscale or uniformscale, the prop will be scaled on import.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...