shawnolson

Wall Worm A-Z (Basics)

55 minutes ago, catfood said:

Wallworm is fucking awesome thank you so much :-D

:) Thank you for the endorsement. Such opinions go a long way in helping keep me motivated to continue working on this project.

I should take time to make a better video than the one above. Although making displacements from a single epoly template is possible, you get better results by making a template that is actually a bunch of valid brushes (as each element). There is a tool in WW collection (ShellVex) that can convert the faces to brushes... but I didn't demonstrate it here. 

i started to learn 3dsmax with some youtube tuts and installed wallworm.
i made a simple custom cube for a first test as you can see in the images below.
wall worm is working as expected, collision worked too but my materials were not the same like in 3ds.
only the basic diffuse color is added like you see in the picture. what did i do wrong and how can i solve this?
i guess this is a dumb question - thanks in advance for any answer and thank you for wallworm!

DVwWw8E.jpg

5dDQEyL.jpg

1 hour ago, baem123 said:

.. but my materials were not the same like in 3ds.
only the basic diffuse color is added like you see in the picture. what did i do wrong and how can i solve this?
i guess this is a dumb question - thanks in advance for any answer and thank you for wallworm!

No question is dumb :)

So the answer to this question is generally straightforward. You need to "Bake" the procedural Noise texture to a Bitmap. All procedural maps (Noise, Cellular, Substance, etc) must be baked into bitmaps. Depending on what you are doing, this can be either using the Render Map function in the Material Editor or it could be using the Render To Texture (RTT) utility. The render map will create a bitmap for a texture and the Render To Texture can take a complex set of textures and bake them to bitmaps according to the UV layout. For both, make sure to create TGA bitmaps.

The RTT will replace your material with a new material where Bitmaps are used instead of the procedural textures. If you use another method, you'll have to manually assign those bitmaps.

Hopefully this helps you understand some more.