TSD-Metro : UT4 contest [WIP]

FRAG

Here's my first day blockout of my map "TSD-Metro" it's a map I'm going to submit as part of the UT4 & Mapcore contest currently taking place.

The idea is this is a re-purposed metro station for the tournament, it's located in the middle of a metropolis which means that life is still going on around, maybe even a train or two (TBD)

• Environment setting: Metro, Urban, Metropolis
  • Theme: Clean, re-purposed.
  • Story: Metro Station 87 is located in the center of Atmos, a city that prides itself on it's polished facility's and clean public spaces, they have kindly re-purposed this station to host the tournament and allowed the locals to watch for their own pleasure, would be a shame if someone spilled blood here wouldn't it?

dfHh0BY.png

0FTBsYF.png

b4rkgg3.png

DU6ryOh.png

SQxwLrV.png

It will appear very open at the moment but as I block more stuff out, the sight lines will decrease to more acceptable limits, the map works in a 3 tier system, top and bottom segments are a bit more open but still provide adequate coverage with ways to retreat and flank.

The middle segment plays more like cat and mouse, use it to your advantage or face the consequences, the area is filled with tight turns, plenty of cover but only a few exits.

All spawn points will have adequate cover, no two spawns can view each other.

Weapon placements are yet to be finalized.

You may notice the hammer textures in there, that's because I'm using a plugin called "HammUEr" which allows me to create my brushwork in the hammer editor and the import it into the UE4 engine where they are turned into static meshes, Although I do really enjoy using the UE4 toolset, I still find hammers geometry tools much quicker for prototyping quickly and then iterating changes, I'm not going to promote the plugin but just search HammUEr on twitter or google and you'll find it if this sounds like something you want.

Also just to note, as this is just an initial import without any tweaking, a few of the meshes are showing shadow lines and such, I'll get them fixed up when I do the next import.

AND scanner is currently borked so when I get that up and running again, I'll post in the layouts and idea brainstorming I did for anyone who likes seeing that stuff.

Looking forward to posting more of Metro here, feedback (good & bad) is welcome as always.

You mean to do smalle rooms @2d-chris? Or to hollow stuff using subtractive brushes?

Never actually made anything in unreal yet, always wondered how it would be to get into the subtractive thing. Tutorials that I've seen haven't turned my world around, seem to suggest just to carve the space you need for an area and then build in the classic quake/HL style. Except for carving windows with subtractive brushes.

I'm actually recording myself working on a new UT CTF  shell, recorded every second working on it, so far it's about 12 hours of content, going to speed it up 500% which should mean its somewhat understandable and you can see what madness I get up to, my technique is pretty different than the usual working with to, side and front, I work 99% in perspective. 

Might upload the first hour tonight, if it will be of help.