Sprony

Epic Games & MapCore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest Discussion

I am trying to make the mini-map for the Showdown game. Any tutorial suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have seen a few for basic mini map creations but i'm looking for a tut on how to make a mini map and implement it to the beginning of the UT game. Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Michael Holton said:

I am trying to make the mini-map for the Showdown game. Any tutorial suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have seen a few for basic mini map creations but i'm looking for a tut on how to make a mini map and implement it to the beginning of the UT game. Thanks!

Hi! Did you check this one?

EDIT: There's also a lot of usefull information on the official forums: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/forums/showthread.php?22170-Showdown-level-design-philosophy

Edited by dry0n

18 hours ago, Sjonsson said:

Teamed up with a colleague of mine, we're gonna do this as well!

Will also prio this over other stuff and try not to be the "wanted but didn't have time"-person.

Damn… I have just started working on HL2 maps for the contest over Runthinkshootlive, when I should spend all my spare time writing job applications anyway 😒

At least first deadline is just a block out, will try thinking of a layout and see if I can make the time designing a kill box… but I'm definitely in that "wanted - have no time" position :( 

This is the first time I'm creating an Unreal Tournament map and I'm also taking on a big challenge with trying to design something for a fairly new gamemode.

2 days ago, I had an idea in mind that I wanted to create. I blocked in most of the level which takes place mostly inside a building, but I also had an outdoor area. The scale is right and everything, but there's not enough pathways and flank routes. And from what I've understood lately by taking a deeper study of the level design in Unreal Tournament, you'd need a fairly open map with lots of tiny/medium cover, so you can kind of get a sense of your opponents movement around the map.

Another big challenge is to implement a healthy amount of trick jumps and stuff into the level. I've played some Unreal Tournament back in the old days, but my experience is far from having enough knowledge how to design it all so it appeals to both professionals and beginners.

I think I'm gonna start over with the blocking phase and design something that will really grasp the foundation and core gameplay. It shouldn't be too hard to do that, but the biggest problem for me is to visualize how to map is gonna look after the detailing phase. It's easy to block in something and build something maze-like with interesting layout and geometry, but what the hell is gonna be there in the end? I want it to kind of make sense. I guess it's more important in a CS:GO as an example, that everything kind of needs to be realistic. But I doubt a "maze-arena-full-of-interesting-trick-jumps-kind-of-map" will make it into first place if you don't have a art direction and theme that makes abit of sense. That's what's keep restricting me to move fast forward.

Honestly I feel that is the biggest problem with it at the moment nearly all the finished maps are generic castles with nonsense layouts, UT wasn't really like that, quake was what had those kinds if levels. I definitely feel my level lacks some trick jumps and lifts, going to see how I can fit them in without completely fucking any aesthetic.

1 hour ago, Vilham said:

Honestly I feel that is the biggest problem with it at the moment nearly all the finished maps are generic castles with nonsense layouts, UT wasn't really like that, quake was what had those kinds if levels. I definitely feel my level lacks some trick jumps and lifts, going to see how I can fit them in without completely fucking any aesthetic.

This is definitely the case, but people should feel free to pull from DM_Outside for some sci-fi elements if they are not producing their own meshes for the level. Also keep in mind that not many people are working on environments so much as there is a crazy amount of people creating levels - so I think kit-bashing is going slower than perhaps is normal? Personally, my level aesthetic design will be closer to the "castle" type designs, but not quite the same, simply because that is what I have been studying recently for architectural inspiration and 3D mesh work in my spare time. However -- having said that -- there are definitely ways to make it "Unreal", even with a castle style theme (e.g., floating assets, glowing assets, steammpunk style with protruding pipes and electrical cables off of castle like structures, etc . . .). Free your mind!

Edited by Sigma

3 hours ago, Vilham said:

I'm not sure I fully agree,  the original game had a ton of random environments that made no to little sense, that's UT. What ever comes across as exciting and over the top is good in my books.  There is an entire futuristic set too, with a bit of creativity you can make it look different too, I made this recently using Outpost 23 assets, 

We only have two environment artists on UT, so at this point it's about getting the biggest bang for buck out of assets so naturally things will look a bit "generic" normally you'd have at least 8-10 environment artists and a lot more time - Right now its about being as creative as possible to make the most of what we have, which is a part of the challenge. 

I'm going to be using outpost assets for sure. I am going to attempt to make a futuristic looking setting while maintaining some relatable locations, think mirrors edge and Deus ex.

I can appreciate that there aren't many artists.

Part of my problem with the current aesthetics is that I don't remember (I'm sure there are a few) levels that were Gothic, the memorable ones to me were things like Morpheus, the vehicle repair shop, the sky scraper one, facing worlds, the giant sub bay, etc. The current levels feel very quakesk