Sprony

Epic Games & MapCore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest Discussion

1 hour ago, Sprony said:

It's not an engine update. I've asked Epic and they've tested if the maps work and they still do. Some very minor issues on a couple of maps but nothing major. Maybe we'll ask one to recook to see what causes it, but nobody needs to be worried :)

I noticed that some of the Titan Pass assets were edited. My level does not look the same in some parts ... It also seems like that they either changed the water material's (from Titan Pass) name or deleted it. Therefore my meshes that are supposed to be water, use the default dev texture. This is ugly and since it was said we could use existing assets not really my fault.

But since I already changed some things on the level after the deadline it would not be fair to recook and resubmit it either. What do we do about that? :/

Welp, Maelstrom suffered heavy damage with this update. Had quite a few TitanPass assets.  So sad... looks like tons of work to fix.  Missing materials, messed up UV mapping on TitanPass meshes, missing meshes etc.

Edited by MauL

15 minutes ago, MauL said:

Welp, Maelstrom suffered heavy damage with this update. Had quite a few TitanPass assets.  So sad... looks like tons of work to fix.  Missing materials, messed up UV mapping on TitanPass meshes etc.

I feel your pain ... that is really shitty.

Owch, this does not sound any good... but I haven't updated yet!

Perhaps I can help you guys out... Tell me about the assets that are giving you trouble, and I will try to upload a file with the old versions of them...

I would appreciate if someone checked that my map is alright, though... :P

16 minutes ago, TheGlecter said:

Owch, this does not sound any good... but I haven't updated yet!

Perhaps I can help you guys out... Tell me about the assets that are giving you trouble, and I will try to upload a file with the old versions of them...

I would appreciate if someone checked that my map is alright, though... :P

Currently downloading your pak, but it takes ages :shake:

19 minutes ago, TheGlecter said:

You can try these other 2 links, then:

MPF Link

Redirect Link

Thanks.

I just ran around the level and took a few screenshots. Yes, there is stuff broken unfortunately ... I will send you a PM with the screenshots. I don't feel comfortable with making stuff of your map public.

Got the screenshots, thank you very much!

So it seems that the update has turned my level into an absolutely ugly pile of crap... Totally unacceptable, seriously... :mad:

I posted this on the official forums as well.

We have all of the MapCore entries and the build that it was generated on (0.1.2). We'll be judging them from that point, where they were submitted in the build that they were submitted for. 

As for the fallout of the CTF-TitanPass update, we'd like to verify that what people are seeing as broken in their pak files is actually broken in the editor/after a re-cook as well. If that still doesn't fix things for you it would help us if you could provide more details about broken/missing items.

Otherwise as we've mentioned before our content is often subject to change as levels are being iterated on. We generally try to avoid changing things in such a way that they cause any fallout but as a rule of thumb it is always wise to at least copy out your own master material if you wish to differ from the "Official Look" (tm) of that set.

It is definitely not our goal to sabotage anybody's hard work and we care to get you guys fixed up

If we can identify that some assets are missing somehow we can release them separately to get this addressed. Again, we're sorry that this issue has occurred. 

18 minutes ago, RZE said:

I posted this on the official forums as well.

If we can identify that some assets are missing somehow we can release them separately to get this addressed. Again, we're sorry that this issue has occurred. 

Do I understand you correctly that we do not need to take immediate steps to fix it since you judge and look at the levels in an older build? I am very limited in time after the crunch time for this contest and do not see myself able to address these issues until next week in order to recook it for the contest.

5 hours ago, FX said:

That's good to know!  Did they say what the issues are?

If you read through this page, you'll get a pretty good idea.

5 minutes ago, poLemin said:

Do I understand you correctly that we do not need to take immediate steps to fix it since you judge and look at the levels in an older build? I am very limited in time after the crunch time for this contest and do not see myself able to address these issues until next week in order to recook it for the contest.

Yes, that is correct. So in short, everything will proceed according to schedule. Having said that, it would be appreciated if you can help identify Epic what's gone wrong (which some of you have already done).

38 minutes ago, RZE said:

I'm sorry that this has occurred.

We have all of the MapCore entries and the build that it was generated on (0.1.2). We'll be judging them from that point, where they were submitted in the build that they were submitted for.

Thanks, that's really good to hear! :)

it would be appreciated if you can help identify Epic what's gone wrong (which some of you have already done).

I still have the backups, but It seems that tons of assets from the Environments -> Outside folder have changed. Lots of meshes from the Merged folder are missing to start with, and some stuff from Textures has changed too (so having a copy of the master materials didn't work here...). I have quite a lot of broken Decals aswell...

The screenshots I got from poLemin are... frightening. It's definitely not about a couple of missing assets. It's the whole level that got messed up. :( Fortunately, I have just managed to open it in the editor before updating, so I'm going to copy as much stuff as I can to my personal folder...

Edited by TheGlecter

4 hours ago, TheGlecter said:

Got the screenshots, thank you very much!

So it seems that the update has turned my level into an absolutely ugly pile of crap... Totally unacceptable, seriously... :mad:

I was thinking you were going to be in trouble with yours also since it looked like you used a lot of TitanPass assets like I did. At least they will judge them on the previous build but it doesn't help the fact that my map is now an unplayable mess.