Sprony

Epic Games & MapCore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest Discussion

1 hour ago, Mitch Mitchell said:

I altered the light map resolution on some stuff...so that needed its own folder and references for it to work without resorting to the defaults.

Hey, you don't really need to create custom duplicates of StaticMeshes to change the lightmap resolution if you don't want to. There is an 'Overrride Lightmap Resolution' setting in the StaticMesh properties where you can set a specific value per mesh without editing the original assets.

1 hour ago, TheGlecter said:

Hey, you don't really need to create custom duplicates of StaticMeshes to change the lightmap resolution if you don't want to. There is an 'Overrride Lightmap Resolution' setting in the StaticMesh properties where you can set a specific value per mesh without editing the original assets.

Oh totally, but I was changing so much that having 'my stuff' in my own folder made more sense than creating potential discombobulation of Epic assets.

Well, I think I've finally detoxed from the last minute crunching to get my map ready. Thanks for running the contest guys! Too bad there's not a special category for "Dad's with full time jobs" :D.

12 hours ago, MauL said:

Well, I think I've finally detoxed from the last minute crunching to get my map ready. Thanks for running the contest guys! Too bad there's not a special category for "Dad's with full time jobs" :D.

Haha, yeah I'm in your situation as well. Except I don't have any kids to take care of.

Would be cool if we could have a Mapcore Maps Unreal Tournament server which only hosted our maps. Would be a good incentive for others to finish up their maps as well.

Edited by Sjonsson

I didn't get the map in a playable state for the competition and there is still more to do on it but with a bunch of other things on I am not sure if I will have the time or inclination to continue - It was great to work on the map but I had my first PC blow up and had to downgrade to a spare and lost some data, went on holiday/honeymoon for 2 weeks and other life things like putting our house on the market - I took a few days off to work on it and still it feels a while away from being 100% complete. I have re-posted the screenshots and spent this weekend trying to iron out the major issues that where blocking me from showing it (although I already found more issues.)

Maybe at some point I will come back to it but I feel completely burned out on this map! In some ways I think I was getting close on others I would want to scrap it and do it again.

Things I still need to do:

• Improve look especially in main room
  • Fix AI getting stuck on the jump and lift
  • Make a proper exterior

Here is the Link to the map.

Screen02.jpg

Screen01.jpg

Epic is currently finalizing the next UT update. Reviewing on their part will start later this week. A little more patience is needed :)

I hope its not an engine update mostly from the Hub management standpoint. I have 40 custom maps on my hub and it's tough to start over each time. They are talking about adding voice so that sounds like an engine update.  #prealpha...

Version notes for build released 7/13/2016:

TLDR: Major Changes This Build:

- Titan Pass CTF level visual pass for better clarity and improved performance.

I'm quite concerned about this. One of the last updates changed a bunch of materials and meshes from the content folders, which caused problems in many custom maps that have not been recooked since then. I really hope a recook is not necessary, but I'm creating a backup of some of the Environments folders just in case...

Yeah one of my maps got a bit messed up by previous update; but I think a lot of the recent changes are new content rather than redeveloping the old stuff. Also I believe this build is still on 4.12.

It's not an engine update. I've asked Epic and they've tested if the maps work and they still do. Some very minor issues on a couple of maps but nothing major. Maybe we'll ask one to recook to see what causes it, but nobody needs to be worried :)

12 minutes ago, Sprony said:

It's not an engine update. I've asked Epic and they've tested if the maps work and they still do. Some very minor issues on a couple of maps but nothing major. Maybe we'll ask one to recook to see what causes it, but nobody needs to be worried :)

That's good to know!  Did they say what the issues are?