Sprony

Epic Games & MapCore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest Discussion

Due to some intense RL stuff that came up, I didn't have enough time to seriously work on my Phase 2 submission. It was still fun to do a bit of mapping for UT again. :) There's some cool-looking entries here - looking forward to try them!

We are really impressed by the amount of details and polishing you guys have managed to pull out in such a short period of time!

We're new into the mapcore community so I'm sure some of you are used to it but for us it is a great motivation to continue and surpass ourselves.

Thanks again for the contest guys!

9 hours ago, FrieChamp said:

Due to some intense RL stuff that came up, I didn't have enough time to seriously work on my Phase 2 submission. It was still fun to do a bit of mapping for UT again. :) There's some cool-looking entries here - looking forward to try them!

I am in the same boat, didn't have the time to art up a full level with new blockout assets which is what I wanted to do.

The entries look great though. Good luck everyone.

That was quite some work, but I've gone through them all. In total we have 33 submissions of which 26 work. Of the remaining 7, 1 is disqualified, 2 made the deadline but didn't provide any download links, 1 download link doesn't work and 3 maps do not show in game. I've informed these 7 participants. I've just zipped up the working submissions and send them to Epic. Of course, I played through them all and together with other Mapcore Staff members we'll provide Epic with our Top 10. Impressive work so far! Thank you all for participating and we'll keep you posted!

On 7/5/2016 at 9:14 PM, Sprony said:

That was quite some work, but I've gone through them all. In total we have 33 submissions of which 26 work. Of the remaining 7, 1 is disqualified, 2 made the deadline but didn't provide any download links, 1 download link doesn't work and 3 maps do not show in game. I've informed these 7 participants. I've just zipped up the working submissions and send them to Epic. Of course, I played through them all and together with other Mapcore Staff members we'll provide Epic with our Top 10. Impressive work so far! Thank you all for participating and we'll keep you posted!

Thanks for holding this competition! It's been a great learning experience for me :)

Good luck to everyone involved !

On 7/5/2016 at 9:14 PM, Sprony said:

Thanks for this quick feedback!

As FX said: Good luck to everyone :) 

While mine counts, I'm still (but not REALLY) kicking myself over the fact that there's a collision error near one of my lifts. And another lift shooting you up too high. Well that's what happens when I use one of Epic's cliff meshes with default collision that extrudes farther than it should, I THINK that's the problem but otherwise...? I had to change collision of a few meshes that didin't behave as expected (since I didn't create 'em) What matters is that I can say that I technically entered the contest, even if there was a thing or two I could have easily fixed / changed to make it better.

Oh well, I'm still considering completing a lower level circuit and adding in more foliage and other details, and other changes throughout - such as "does having a rocket launcher on the upper level create an imbalance or is it good? Or would a lower level placement, rather, create a contention point?" Stuff like that. That was the plan regardless, adjust based on feedback 'till it is FINAL final. So long as I can eventually say, "My map features in Unreal Tournament's rotation" I'll be happy. :P

Also I REALLY need to get around to getting more than 8GB ram

I literally just upgraded from 8 to 24 with two new sticks right before my final working period on the level before contests' end... I THINK that made compile times faster but Packaging still took awhile. But maybe an hour of packaging is still faster than what a detailed level would have been otherwise? I dunno lol.

Edited by ShadesMaster

12 hours ago, ShadesMaster said:

While mine counts, I'm still (but not REALLY) kicking myself over the fact that there's a collision error near one of my lifts. And another lift shooting you up too high. Well that's what happens when I use one of Epic's cliff meshes with default collision that extrudes farther than it should, I THINK that's the problem but otherwise...? I had to change collision of a few meshes that didin't behave as expected (since I didn't create 'em) What matters is that I can say that I technically entered the contest, even if there was a thing or two I could have easily fixed / changed to make it better.

Oh well, I'm still considering completing a lower level circuit and adding in more foliage and other details, and other changes throughout - such as "does having a rocket launcher on the upper level create an imbalance or is it good? Or would a lower level placement, rather, create a contention point?" Stuff like that. That was the plan regardless, adjust based on feedback 'till it is FINAL final. So long as I can eventually say, "My map features in Unreal Tournament's rotation" I'll be happy. :P

I literally just upgraded from 8 to 24 with two new sticks right before my final working period on the level before contests' end... I THINK that made compile times faster but Packaging still took awhile. But maybe an hour of packaging is still faster than what a detailed level would have been otherwise? I dunno lol.

The collision 'issue' with some meshes is down to choosing the collision type in the Static Mesh detail panel via the content browser. I once spent 3 hours creating a custom collision for a mesh (ironically, a cliff) when all I needed to do was choose a pull down and the engine would just 'sort it out' and give me skin tight collision.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, or earlier in this thread about collision...Unreal Engine 4 is pretty smart about collision.

Regarding collision and cooking, I did find that dropping all collision outside the playable area of the map lowered packing time. Not much, but it did seem to fly through chunks faster. Having my own folder for meshes also helped, but I altered the light map resolution on some stuff...so that needed its own folder and references for it to work without resorting to the defaults.

More time would have been good...like another month maybe. Is that the classic thing an artist would say? :)

No one has commented on my level design document yet...that hurts me :(

1 hour ago, Mitch Mitchell said:

No one has commented on my level design document yet...that hurts me :(

Oh, believe me, we did talk about it internally but I can't disclose anything of course :)