Sprony

Epic Games & MapCore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest Discussion

Holy crap, even my main PC at home can't run the editor properly, it's not a beast but I thought it would be fine since it runs the CryEngine editor alright. I think I might have to pass on the contest, opening the editor takes 3 minutes and dragging in a textured mesh from Chill froze the editor for 5 minutes... I'm probably lacking in the memory and HDD department :(

The assets freezing the editor is a big problem that they need to address if possible. The first time the editor opens is always slow, so you should give it a few tries first. Running it from an SSD helps obviously

It's probably caching tons of shaders, it shouldn't take that long once things are loaded. Probably worth opening the official maps, then starting a shell :P We also support different gfx specs for the editor, can try lowering them in the settings panel. I don't think the editor is that demanding, but then I do have a pretty powerful pc at home and work. I have noticed the UT editor takes longer than other projects to load, but not in a way that was ever a deal breaker for me. 

Make sure to turn off auto navmesh updating, this can be frustrating, and I also noticed having blueprints tool open is actually really demanding, so closing tools your not using will help. 

9 hours ago, Crafty said:

I submitted a basic shell prototype. I assume I am free to amend the download link with updated versions?

Of course!

10 hours ago, 2d-chris said:

It's probably caching tons of shaders, it shouldn't take that long once things are loaded. Probably worth opening the official maps, then starting a shell :P We also support different gfx specs for the editor, can try lowering them in the settings panel. I don't think the editor is that demanding, but then I do have a pretty powerful pc at home and work. I have noticed the UT editor takes longer than other projects to load, but not in a way that was ever a deal breaker for me. 

Make sure to turn of auto navmesh updating, this can be frustrating, and I also noticed having blueprints tool open is actually really demanding, so closing tools your not using will help. 

Thanks for the tips!

By the way since you're from epic (if I'm not mistaken ), I want to point out to you that the example map is really a nice touch. It's a fast and easy way to see all the tools needed, how they are implemented, and to have references for the scale. Much appreciated ! 

I'm trying to figure out how to curve a walkway in the BSP phase. Can someone help me? I've also tried using meshes, but I found it abit hard on how to snap them together? Some floors when turned 45 degrees doesn't really snap?

Edit: Solved it. Worked better when I saw you can make cylinders hollow.

Edited by Psyrius

Hey everyone, I am hoping to give this contest a really good shot. I will try to help out anyone with art/engine related questions too :) GL everyone!

Whitebox is coming along but I think my scale might be off, have already scaled it down vertically but think my x,y might be too large as well.

Although checking outpost 23 its 9000x9000 which is only slightly smaller than my 9000x12000

Edited by Vilham

2 hours ago, Vilham said:

Whitebox is coming along but I think my scale might be off, have already scaled it down vertically but think my x,y might be too large as well.

Although checking outpost 23 its 9000x9000 which is only slightly smaller than my 9000x12000

Outpost is the very smallest I would go, we also scaled the players by 15% after it was made, so it feels even smaller. You can play with bots, then then set the game speed mutator to really slow, will help you judge scale at least when it comes to how big/small other players are. 

Are the metrics on the example map up to date? They are what I was going off, not that I have many corridors, its a large multi-layered area at the moment, which is why i worry it might be too open.

1 minute ago, NATO said:

Chill is a better example for size; it's about 10k square and works really nicely for TSD

Sup dude! Welcome to the Core.