Jump to content
Sprony

Epic Games & MapCore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest Discussion

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, MauL said:

Mitch:  I try to minimize duplication of stock materials if I can help it since it seems to make the filesize larger. I'd much rather use the MI that I'm currently using. Sure, if I can't get it to work I will have to duplicate it and put it in a shorter path location but I try to use duplication sparingly.  Am I wrong on that?

 

Well, it's a material instance. I don't see any issues with it being copied to another location.There is perhaps an argument that if the instance is deleted from stock assets, you will get issues on your map build moving forward, but I think that's unlikely...then again it is from a prototype folder, so who knows?

Personally, duplicate the MI, move it to another (shorter) folder, update the references and move on.

As for filesize...I honestly don't know the answer, but if you are using materials instanced from Epic materials, their location is immaterial. I do thank you for giving me the awesome set-up for that turn of phrase :)

Put a pot of coffee on and test it, see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mitch Mitchell said:

 

Well, it's a material instance. I don't see any issues with it being copied to another location.There is perhaps an argument that if the instance is deleted from stock assets, you will get issues on your map build moving forward, but I think that's unlikely...then again it is from a prototype folder, so who knows?

Personally, duplicate the MI, move it to another (shorter) folder, update the references and move on.

As for filesize...I honestly don't know the answer, but if you are using materials instanced from Epic materials, their location is immaterial. I do thank you for giving me the awesome set-up for that turn of phrase :)

Put a pot of coffee on and test it, see what happens.

Nevermind, duh I didn't notice it was an MI.

Anyway... the real point of my post was to inform people that are new to the process (It seems like there might be a few in here) that there are dangers lurking. Was hoping to prevent people from losing a ton of time trying to figure out that problem if they ran into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI All, Im having an issue with texture stretching and distortion on my meshes for walls/floors (i made static meshes of my entire level BEFORE the informative discussion of the last few pages xC). it doesnt seem to change anything if i change the UVs or edgeflow the problem persists. wondering if anyone has a solution?

 rlxaj7.png

also sorry if this isnt really the place for problems like this but youve all been really helpful so far soooo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bearplane said:

HI All, Im having an issue with texture stretching and distortion on my meshes for walls/floors (i made static meshes of my entire level BEFORE the informative discussion of the last few pages xC). it doesn't seem to change anything if I change the UVs or edgeflow the problem persists. wondering if anyone has a solution?

 

I'm thinking triangulate/optimize and reconvert it.

Those lines appear to be points of the BSP geometry, like when you move vertices and additional lines are added.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-06-24 at 1:47 PM, Vilham said:

To be fair the organisation of the assets in UT4 is a bit of a mess. There clearly aren't any consistent standards.

You're right. But the possibility to create a standard is pretty straight forward. Especially now that we have the Catalogue Tagging system so it doesn't necessarily mean the file structure has to be the same as your in-practise asset organisation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys !

We're having some trouble with a material that causes the editor to crash when we try to build lighting.

It seems the problem comes from M_Liandri_MASTER_Material in /Game/RestrictedAssets/Environments/Liandri/Materials
It appears to be corrupted for whatever reason...


Is there a way to revert it to its original version or can someone send us the vanilla version of it so we can try to uncorrupt it ? :P

Thanks guys ! I hope we can sort this out otherwise we're pretty screwed for the deadline and that would be a shame...

Edited by huitmottes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 minutes ago, huitmottes said:

Hey guys !

We're having some trouble with a material that causes the editor to crash when we try to build lighting.

It seems the problem comes from M_Liandri_MASTER_Material in /Game/RestrictedAssets/Environments/Liandri/Materials
It appears to be corrupted for whatever reason...


Is there a way to revert it to its original version or can someone send us the vanilla version of it so we can try to uncorrupt it ? :P

Thanks guys ! I hope we can sort this out otherwise we're pretty screwed for the deadline and that would be a shame...

You can always choose to verify your copy of the editor which should make sure everything is correct and up to date. Make sure to backup your original content though as there is always a chance it might be deleted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey phantazm11,

Thanks for your quick answer, we tried to use the verify option as you suggested and it worked ! Well, not that easily... (We had to do it several times)

Just so you know, my buddy and I are using the same anti-virus software (aVast) and apparently he's considering that compiling shaders is a virus and decides to corrupt those files...
We spent last night trying to figure this out so I hope our pain will help some of you guys :)

Thanks again phantazm11.

Edited by huitmottes
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leon Coachman

Ailen Temple Base

Lee, Leo, Coachman

 

I save my file as PAK and shared it and everything but how do i retrieve it to show the rest of yall my level it know where on my desktop or computer??

“I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula )”

WP_20160630_17_23_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20160630_17_23_58_Pro.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phew! My level is finally up! It's been 2 intense mapping months here! :)

Download: DM-Batrankus_vRC1a (July 3, 2016)

Development Thread: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/forums/showthread.php?23802-DM-Batrankus-Mapcore-TSD

Really looking forward to hearing some feedback!

DM-Batrankus_vRC1_01_1280.jpg

Best of luck everyone!

Edited by TheGlecter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, leoncoachman said:

I save my file as PAK and shared it and everything but how do i retrieve it to show the rest of yall my level it know where on my desktop or computer??

If you have cooked your map (Share -> Share this Level) without problems, you should be prompted a Yes/No dialogue box. At the bottom left of that box there's a link to your .pak file's folder. (BTW, click 'No' on the dialogue box... :P)

In my Windows 10 laptop the .pak files folder is: [MyDocuments]\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\MyContent\

That's where you'll find the file to upload for others to play your level. ;)

Edited by TheGlecter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...